Timely - Driving On The Wrong Side

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspis

Hi,

I was given a citation for "Driving on the wrong side of the road." Basically this is my story.

I pulled into an intersection when the light turned green. Instead of moving through it, I noticed that traffic was backed up about 1/4 mile. A bus had broke down and the passengers were being off-loaded onto another bus. Both lanes in my direction were blocked by the two buses. Being *stuck* in the intersection I pulled slowly about 10-20 feet down an oncoming turn lane (unoccupied) an procceded forward into my own left turn lane to avoid the obstruction ahead and of course to clear the intersection.

Apparently this had been going on a while as a motorcycle cop suddenly appeared from nowwhere and gave me a ticket. After the ticket, I did a little grocery shopping near by. I saw the cop exploit the situation and write at least 5 more tickets of the same type. He probably wrote a dozen before the roadway cleared.

Here in Georgia O.C.G.A. § 40-6-40 allows for crossing/driving left of center to avoid obstructions, etc. Still I don't see anyway to win a case in traffic court these days... I would like to fight the case; Many innocent people just plea out or pay to avoid the hassle. Being recently unemployed I cannot afford a good attorney. But on principles I would like to fight the good fight so to speak. My case is due tommorow! I haven't had a moving violation in almost 30 years and I could sure use a little last minute help to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back