Time misappropriation

AshleyG1229

Jurisdiction
New York
I have worked at Walmart since 2012. Today 12/16/2016 I went into work and the co manager said she needed to speak to me. I asked is it bad. She said yes. I asked am I being terminated she said yes. She said for time Misappropriation. I asked her what exactly did she mean by that/what did I do and she couldn't give me an answer. She said she was doing what she was told. She also told me that she will make sure I get UI and would tell the store manager herself.
As long as I been working there there always had to be a witness there when terminating someone. I didn't sign anything about being terminated. I don't understand how you can terminate someone but not tell them what for?

I don't understand how you can terminate someone but not tell them what for?

Well, today any misconceptions you possessed about termination should have been dispelled.

An at-will employee can be terminated anytime, without rhyme or reason, or even explanation.

An at-will employee can even be told rather rudely, "Get, just get, you're fired. We don't want you here no more, so just get off our property."

I suggest you apply for UI, start a job search, and make sure you never again get involved in what you did at Walmart that caused your employment to be terminated.

Your employer does not decide if you get UI. It is entirely up to the state. If the first reaction to your supervisor asking to speak with you is to ask if you are being fired, surely you had some inkling of the reason.

Odd as it may seem to you, no law requires the employer to give you a reason for the termination

I don't see anything illegal done here. You can be terminated at any time for any reason except for a reason prohibited by law such as religion, race, gender.......or unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary. (No witness is required & no reason for termination required.)

You can look for other employment & file for unemployment ins. The STATE will decide if you qualify.

Good luck.

Back