Time clocks at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizabeth

I want to know is it illegal for a person to change the time you clock in or the time you punch out ? I can understand if they change the time you clock in, if it is too early, but what if you work over and they know that they have given you extra work that can not be finished in your scheduled 8 hours. Can anyone help me with the answer ? Thanks:)

Use of a time-clock is very acceptable as long as it is complete and accurate. Note the word "accurate". Many employees work on a fixed schedule that seldom varies at all. The employer may keep a record showing the exact schedule of daily and weekly hours and simply indicate that the worker did follow the schedule. When a worker is on a job for a longer or shorter period of time than the schedule shows, the employer must record the number of hours the worker actually worked, on an exception basis. The time you spent working over your regular 8 hours must be counted and paid as compensable hours. Adjustment thereof without your authorization is unlawful and well in disregard to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1996. Below is some information that may be of further assistance.

Wage-Hour toll-free information and helpline, available 8am to 5pm in your time zone, 1-866-4USWAGE (1-866-487-9243)

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you punch in and that the employer deliberately changes the time so that a project they know will take 9 hours appears to have been finished in 8? To begin, if you are being paid by the hour, there is no question that the employer would be in breach of contract and probably violating labor laws (as stated above) since you aren't being paid for the number of hours actually worked!

This is a hotel job and some of the employees are saying they know they have worked the 40 hours and some overtime, but when they get their checks it is off 30 min, to an hour. I know the company does not want any overtime, but they give extra work and still expect it to be finish in 8 hours and if it is not they take the extra minutes off, even though they give extra work is that fair? Should they be reported?

Perhaps it should be. There is absolutely no reason for what you describe. Perhaps the employees may want to cut corners too or form some type of union. These are difficult times so it is important to think about what you do and how to do it. Calling the number for information may be a good first step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back