Ticket Violation does not make sense. Assistence please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtonyt

A week ago I was stopped by a police officer. After police officer did review my information it gave me a ticket with charges of unlicensed driver and impound my vehicle with a 30 days hold on it, this happened in California.
I have currently an active driver license from Nevada. My car is register in California and it is up to date, it has California vehicle insurance.
I asked CA DMV if I was unlicensed driver in CA while having a NV driver license. Their answer was no, they confirmed that I am a licensed driver.
Is there anything I can do to get my car before the 30 days hold?
Did the police had the right to give me the citation under the charge of unlicense driver or it has been unfair?
Please advice...
Thanks

Did you show the officer your Nevada license? Is your Nevada license suspended for any reason?

If you think you can show on paper that the impound was improper then not only should you be able to get your car released, you should not have to pay for the tow and storage either.

A week ago I was stopped by a police officer. After police officer did review my information it gave me a ticket with charges of unlicensed driver and impound my vehicle with a 30 days hold on it, this happened in California.
I have currently an active driver license from Nevada. My car is register in California and it is up to date, it has California vehicle insurance.
I asked CA DMV if I was unlicensed driver in CA while having a NV driver license. Their answer was no, they confirmed that I am a licensed driver.
Is there anything I can do to get my car before the 30 days hold?
Did the police had the right to give me the citation under the charge of unlicense driver or it has been unfair?
Please advice...
Thanks
What are the specific code sections on the citation?

Were you charged with reckless driving or speed contest or merely not having a CA license?

On the impound document (the CHP 180) what does it say under the box labeled, "Storage Authority/Reason?"

You have 10 days to request an impound hearing. They must provide this hearing within 48 hours of the request.

If you have had a valid NV license, but are now a resident of CA, then a cite for CVC 12500(a) (being unlicensed) would have been appropriate and an impound of the vehicle may well have been appropriate, but not for 30 days if the car was impounded per CVC 14602.6.

Let us know the information on the cite and the impound form if you have it, and we can give a little more guidance. It seems that if you were cited only for being unlicensed that you have an excellent argument to get the car out immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back