ticket & insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearl

I've just received a traffic ticket for going "70+" in a 55mph zone. There are two reasons I know this can't be right (but I'm not sure it would be enough to hold up in court)

1) My son had just commented on how slow I was going through this well-known speed trap and I glanced at the speedometer and took note that I was going 60mph.

2) I had just gotten this car the day before. Its a smaller car (Camry) compared to the minivan I've been driving, and the size difference gives me the feeling that I'm going much faster than I actually am. 60mph felt too fast.

Furthermore, after a week of driving this car I have found that rarely have I even gone 75mph. The only time I have gone that fast is while passing another vehicle on a 4 lane freeway in the passing lane. And that is rare since I'm generally very comfortable in the slow or middle lanes cruising at 65mph. 76mph or even 70mph is inconceivable to me on a curvy two-lane road such as Hwy 18!

Anyway, the officer stated that I was going 76mph but when he wrote the ticket up he changed it to 70+ stating that it would "bring the cost down".

I've earned an excellent driving record over the years (no tickets), which has greatly reduced the cost of our already expensive insurance- this ticket would set us back quite a bit.

If I request a mitigation hearing could/would the judge take this off our record or do I need to plead Not-guilty for any chances of that happening?

Thanks for any advice you can spare.
Trudy

Last edited:
Radar Speeding Ticket

"I've just received a traffic ticket for going "70+" in a 55mph zone. There are two reasons I know this can't be right (but I'm not sure it would be enough to hold up in court)

1) My son had just commented on how slow I was going through this well-known speed trap and I glanced at the speedometer and took note that I was going 60mph. "

One problem is that you admit that you were speeding. The officer probably was videotaping the traffic stop so if you admitted anything it will be hard to try to say something different in court.

You don't give enough information to provide a complete response. What is your state and the statute number of the speeding violation? Some states have a deferment and/or traffic school program where you pay the fine and the ticket is masked for insurance purposes. Post this information and I will provide a more complete response.

There is also a possibility that the speedometer of the vehicle is not correct. Since the vehicle has just recently been purchased you might want to check this out on a freeway with milemarkers and a stopwatch. 60mph=60sec=1mile. If it is off you can have this certified by a mechanic and a sympathetic judge may dismiss.

Last edited:
Violation: 46.61.400 WA State

The SMD box is checked- I guess that means radar? - I don't think I was video taped

RCW 46.61.400
Basic rule and maximum limits.
(1) No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event speed shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle or other conveyance on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.

(2) Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with subsection (1) of this section, the limits specified in this section or established as hereinafter authorized shall be maximum lawful speeds, and no person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed in excess of such maximum limits.

(a) Twenty-five miles per hour on city and town streets;

(b) Fifty miles per hour on county roads;

(c) Sixty miles per hour on state highways.

The maximum speed limits set forth in this section may be altered as authorized in RCW 46.61.405, 46.61.410, and 46.61.415.

(3) The driver of every vehicle shall, consistent with the requirements of subsection (1) of this section, drive at an appropriate reduced speed when approaching and crossing an intersection or railway grade crossing, when approaching and going around a curve, when approaching a hill crest, when traveling upon any narrow or winding roadway, and when special hazard exists with respect to pedestrians or other traffic or by reason of weather or highway conditions.

Washington Speeding Ticket

In Washington State the officer is not required to appear in court. His statement is simply read into the record. In addition there is no provision for traffic school.

My suggestion would be to appear in court and try to negotiate for an under 10mph violation which should not effect your insurance premiums. You may also call and ask the clerk of court if there is a deferment program. If so that is your best option. (I would like to know also so please post if you find out.) Then you will have to really watch your speed until the probation is over.

Your chances of pleading not guilty and beating the ticket without an attorney are slim to none.

Washington State Speeding Ticket

I found the information on the speeding ticket deferment program in Washington.

You can defer tickets in Washington. There's a fee of $75 or
whatever the ticket would have been whichever is larger. You plead guilty, but the finding of guilt is deferred. If you go 1 year without another ticket, the ticket is dropped. Deferrment is NOT available after the court finds you guilty. If the court finds you guilty, the only thing you can request is fine mitigation. (Down to a minimum fine of $65.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back