Ticket for suspended tag, GA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffro0050

Hello everyone, I have a quick issue if anyone has any advice.

My insurance lapsed from August 10th-23rd of this year. It has not lapsed before or since.

The issue is that I was away at school up until October of this year, and my father was at the time in charge of making payments on it.

Once I returned home, I took over payments and have not seen a lapse of any kind.

Now, unbeknownst to me, the lapse happened and I had incurred the suspension charge in august, but did not receive notification of the suspension until after I had received a citation- The officer was kind enough not to impound my vehicle as he believed that I was completely in the dark about the lapse, as I was.

I quickly paid my insurance several months in advance as well as the reinstatement fee thinking that the lapse had been a recent occurance, and did not believe that any further action was necessary. I then found out that I have a court date in the Dekalb County recorder's court and cannot prepay to get rid of it- I must be present in court.

After a little more research, I found that the standard citation for driving a suspended vehicle was 800 dollars or more in Dekalb county.

My questions are these-

I have pulled full documentation showing that I was fully unaware of the august lapse until after I received a citation(which was actually after I had already re-registered my tag at the same office), that I paid what I owed immediately after I was informed of the suspension, and that I have kept current insurance and registration since.

If I present this documentation to the judge, or to whomever is prosecuting me, am I likely to receive a break on the charges? Should I get a lawyer, or is that foolish considering that it would likely cost me far more than 800 dollars? Should I plead not-guilty and then show the documentation?

I am completely lost as to what course of action would be the most intelligent- My driving record is completely clean and I have never contested a ticket in court before.
As I just returned from school and just started a job, 800 dollars would be absolutely devastating to me under my current circumstances.

Thank you for your time,
Jeffrey

Last edited:
It sounds like you are able to make a pretty convincing argument to the court that you weren't trying to cheat the system... your citation will likely be dismissed since you can show that you have since corrected the problem and the lapse was very brief. You should expect to pay a small administrative fee for court costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back