ticket for not stopping at dot checkpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhemriders

my son is a independent contractor for a company that collects clothes for the needy.he was sick and could not find another driver to do his route,I volunteered to do his route for him.I was using a 27' penske rental truck.
I passed a dot truck inspection station,and was pulled over for not stopping.I have rented uhaul type trucks in the past and have never stopped at these commercial truck stop points.I did not think that i had to,I thought they were for semi trucks only.now I may be a little ignorant,but that is what i thought.
I got a letter from my sons company that says that I do not work for them,I just went to court today and pled not guilty,and they set it for trial in 2 weeks.the judge told me that the ticket cant be pled down,because this is the lowest ticket that they usually use for people pleading down from bigger offenses.what would be a good defense,I am just going to plead ignorance.

What code section were you cited for?

- Carl

Assuming it is the Vehicle and Traffic Code and not something else, here is the violation:
§ 1110. Obedience to and required traffic-control devices. (a) Every
person shall obey the instructions of any official traffic-control
device applicable to him placed in accordance with the provisions of
this chapter, unless otherwise directed by a traffic or police officer,
subject to the exceptions granted the driver of an authorized emergency
vehicle in this title.
It would seem that they are charging you with failing to heed the sign ... presumably the one that says for commercial vehicles to pull in for inspection.

You can plead ignorance, but you will likely be found guilty. You might consider consulting an attorney ... the insurance ramifications of a conviction might make it worthwhile.

- Carl

does anyone know what the fine is for this?
the judge told me that this is the lowest ticket that you cant plead any lower.
they use this charge for people pleading down from speeding tickets.

anybody?
I need to know about how much this fine is and if it carries any points,it might just be easier to plead guilty and pay it instead of taking all this time off from work.

Found the following, perhaps it may help you:

Section 1110 of the New York Vehicle and Traffic Law (VTL) is titled Obedience to and required traffic-control devices. Here subsection (a) states that every person shall obey the instructions of any official traffic-control device applicable to him placed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter, unless otherwise directed by a traffic or police officer, subject to the exceptions granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle in this title.

As you are likely aware there are minimum and maximum penalties that are established by NYS law, and the judge presiding over the case will make the final determination of any penalty to be imposed. Questions regarding your fine amount and any other penalties should be referred to the Court having jurisdiction over your specific case. This is normally the county or city court and should be listed on your ticket.

If NYS usually if you submit a written plea of guilty, you will be mailed a fine letter indicating the amount of the fine and the date that the fine must be paid. If instead you appear in Court, the court should verbally advise you of the amount of the fine and the date that payment is due.

From our research we found that it appears that usual fine for a ticket for 1110(a) disobeying a traffic signal device, is between $100 and $150. There are also surcharges the state adds to this which we believe are around $50.

For example West Seneca Town Court states that their fine for failure to comply with traffic control device (1110(a)) is $100 however this amount does not include any New York State mandated surcharges.

Another city court in New York noted that VTL 1110(a), which they define as unless you are driving an authorized emergency vehicle, you must follow the directions of all signs, signals, markings, and devices placed or erected by authority of a public body or official having jurisdiction for the purpose of regulating, warning or guiding traffic unless otherwise directed by a police officer, has a maximum fine amount of $150 plus surcharges. This court site also mentions if you are found guilty of this offense for a second time the fine amount can go up to $300.

Per the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, this offense in NYS also comes with 2 points being placed on your New York driving record

what are my chances of not getting points if I fight it and plead ignorance,cause I truly did not know I needed to stop,because I am not a commercial driver,and i was in a non cdl truck with a regular license.
I truelly beleive that I have learned a valuable lesson and that fining me,or giving me points on my license would be an unjust burden on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back