ticket for no registration -- going to court...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet_Steve

i was recently pulled over for a broken tail light (which was later found to be working okay, but anyways), and i couldn't give the police officer the registration certificate. i was given a $93 fine for this.

i found the registration in the glove compartment later on; it was hidden in the mess of papers (which is yes, my fault).

i heard it was possible - in some states - to bring your registration or license to the police department to dismiss a fine for not having it at the time of being pulled over, and when i tried to do this, i was told to go to court.

so, what do i say at court, and what can i expect? (i live in CT by the way).

I don't know about CT but I have had this happen to me personally. You should call up the police department because I was able to get mine taken care of by the PD on Long Island in NYC. If you have to appear in court then that might be the procedure. You will likely want to have a statement by your garage that the light worked and had a momentary outage or something to the efect that it was properly taken care of. You should check out the law with regard to the time one might be able to remedy the violation. If memory serves correct it could be 30 days and the summons would be dismissed if fixed within that period of time. I don't know the answer offhand but why don't you ask those questions and hopefully come back here and let us know what you've discovered! Good luck!!

Originally posted by Jet Steve
i was recently pulled over for a broken tail light (which was later found to be working okay, but anyways), and i couldn't give the police officer the registration certificate. i was given a $93 fine for this.

i found the registration in the glove compartment later on; it was hidden in the mess of papers (which is yes, my fault).

i heard it was possible - in some states - to bring your registration or license to the police department to dismiss a fine for not having it at the time of being pulled over, and when i tried to do this, i was told to go to court.

so, what do i say at court, and what can i expect? (i live in CT by the way).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back