Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Ticket for Being in Park After Hours - Please Help

JohnHolt

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hello everyone,

So I was charged with being in a park after hours for which I received a ticket.

The thing is though, there were FIVE other people who happened to be in the park after hours at the exact same time and every one of them received just a warning while I was the only one who received a ticket.

What's more, it was apparent that these five people were guilty of the following things in addition to being in the park after hours:

1) They had a vehicle parked on the park grounds after hours

2) They literally came towards the officers from an area that's blocked off not only by a fence with a three signs in plain view on it that say "Restricted Area", "Notice Authorized Personnel Only", and "Private Property Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted To The Full Extent Of The Law", respectfully.

3) They were apparently violating a noise ordinance (this is apparently why the police were called to the scene in the first place; apparently somebody complained about noise and I definitely was not the one making the noise)

So that makes up to four things that the other five people could have been charged with: being in the park after hours, illegal parking, criminal trespassing through the restricted area, and violating a noise ordinance. Yet despite these potential charges they were all let go with a warning while, I being charged with only one of those things, was the only one given an actual ticket.

The officer who issued the ticket told me that they had been given just a warning because, and I quote, "because they were nice." I did not come with these five people, by the way; they just happened to be there at the exact same time.

I believe this statement indicates a clear bias on the part of the officer who issued the ticket since I have never had any previous charges for anything whatsoever. It also indicates grossly inconsistent ticketing practices on the part of the officer. There is more to this story, but I'll cut it off here.

What advice can you give on this situation?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't know of anyone on this site who'll read that wall of text, sorry.
Good luck with whatever you've been cited for violating.

Plead not guilty, hire a lawyer, (or ask if you qualify for a public defender), stay out of more trouble, wait, see if your lawyer can make this all go away, or lessen the eventual pain.

Always OBEY all of their laws.

As you've discovered, it pisses them off when anyone violates their laws.

I read some of it. The police can cite you or arrest you for anything that they have probable cause for. It's up to the prosecutor to file charges. You got a citation for being in the park after hours. You were in the park after hours. Do police officers have biases? Yes. They're human.

You can always go to the court date if there's one on the citation and fight it. Or pay the fine and stay out of the park after hours.

I don't know of anyone on this site who'll read that wall of text, sorry.
Good luck with whatever you've been cited for violating.

Plead not guilty, hire a lawyer, (or ask if you qualify for a public defender), stay out of more trouble, wait, see if your lawyer can make this all go away, or lessen the eventual pain.

Always OBEY all of their laws.

As you've discovered, it pisses them off when anyone violates their laws.

It may be a wall of text but I made it as interesting to read as possible. Anyway, thanks for your response.

Your complaint won't go anywhere. It's like complaining about getting a speeding ticket when all the other cars were going the same speed. Police can't get them all, and when they do they have a certain amount of discretion about how to handle it.
If you were rude or obnoxious it is no surprise that the officer tool the time to issue the citation. Lesson learned.... be polite when speaking with the police. If you have a complaint about their conduct then utilize the complaint procedure of that agency.
I would not mention a word of this in trying to make a defense in court. A judge would likely cut you off and fine you before you could even finish.

Back