Threats over facebook

N

needs advise

Jurisdiction
West Virginia
son and friend ( juveniles )are getting direct threats over facebook and in texts of physical harm, from men over the age of 18 due to a fight with 2 other boys, these people who have threatened them are driving by the houses looking for them. The boys who lost the fight and video taped it, has chopped the video and is posting it on social media stating they got jumped, but you can see its a two on two, I don't condone the fighting, but the other parents are encouraging these kids to post this stuff, one even commented they didn't want to stop the violence! but this social media bull crap is getting way blown out of proportion! One of the other boys did get his eye hurt. But with the social media they are enticing violence against my son and friend, the video has had over 200 shares and 20k views with strangers making threats as well. The police has been given screenshots of the threats and they were called when the men were asking where they lived, and they were identified by the person they asked. But yet no one has been arrested. Can some one please help me understand all this and what our rights are.

If the police are already involved, I am not sure what you think we can do that they can not. Have you as the parent contacted the other parents involved to discuss the matter? Has your son tried good old fashioned apology?

Hopefully your son will learn that fighting has consequences and he needs to settle his disputes in a civilized manner. If he did indeed fight another child and caused him injury, it very well might be your kid/you who are on the wrong end of the law here.

You can contact the platform where the video is posted and ask them to remove it. Most will. A "vacation" from social media might be in order for your son as well.

Back