Threatened with going to jail unless I gave the police officers money?

sjarboe01

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I only have until 2PM tomorrow, please help me.

So let me start off by saying that I am not from Pennsylvania, I'm from Virginia and am here for work. These officers handed me and everyone else absolutely zero paperwork and told us that if we handed them $461.25, which they said is the max "disorderly conduct" fine, that they would let us go with that. I've personally never heard of handing officers money to let you go, unless it's a bribe. When we couldn't come up with that for 3 people, totaling $1,383.75, he said to come by the magistrates office tomorrow at 2PM and pay it, gave me an address and everything. I'm going to go extremely in depth as best I can because I really feel like something is off. If not, please let me know so I can just pay this and get it over with.

My coworkers and myself went to Walmart to get food for the house we are staying at, and as we are walking about putting our groceries in the car and about to leave 2 police cars pull up without their lights on and get out. My coworker is putting oil in our car at this time, so I get out and ask them "Is there is a problem officer." He says, "Yeah it smells like weed all around your car, and we got a call from a probation officer that said they saw you smoking before you went in."

Before I lose anyone, we did have marijuana in the car. We immediately gave them everything we had because we are out of town and just want to avoid going to jail at any costs and keep working and making money. They proceeded to search our car, and once they didn't find anything else they told us to get in and wait, so we did. Then they come up to me and say, "Since possession of a small amount of marijuana is a misdemeanor in Pennsylvania, we could take you jail, have you see a magistrate to set your bond, and then have to get bonded out. Or, pay the maximum fine for Disorderly Conduct and we let you go about your night. And that goes for each of you."

Of course we tried to scrounge up the $462 a piece, even went so far as to follow the officer to an ATM after being in the Walmart parking lot for about an hour, and another officer was already waiting at the ATM. When we couldn't get it in what they considered was a reasonable amount of time they said to come by the magistrates office by 2PM and pay it.

We still never received any paper work at all.

Also, I do know the officers name and I have videos of him leading us to the ATM and pulling up to it. I started to take videos when I didn't have a good gut feeling.

If you have no paperwork, HOW do you know where to go tomorrow?

Have you visited the police station where these ALLEGED police officers are employed?

Were these police officers wearing uniforms?

The video you took should be useful in tracking down the people who claimed to be police officials.

You may have been pranked.

I suppose you'll find out tomorrow.

By the way, get rid of that lousy dope.

If the cops were FAKE, they may have wanted to rob you of your cash, dope, guns; whatever else dopers have if value

In fact, if they were FAKES, you might be lucky to be alive.

If you have no paperwork, HOW do you know where to go tomorrow?

Have you visited the police station where these ALLEGED police officers are employed?

Were these police officers wearing uniforms?

The video you took should be useful in tracking down the people who claimed to be police officials.

You may have been pranked.

I suppose you'll find out tomorrow.

By the way, get rid of that lousy dope.

If the cops were FAKE, they may have wanted to rob you of your cash, dope, guns; whatever else dopers have if value

In fact, if they were FAKES, you might be lucky to be alive.
He gave us a card and wrote the address on the back of it for where to go. And it's like a personal card of his. However the address he gave us is the location of a magistrates office.

They were wearing uniforms, everything like that. They looked official. If I still am handing an officer cash tomorrow, like they wanted tonight, should I pursue this further? I should always be able to get a receipt right?

They were wearing uniforms, everything like that. They looked official. If I still am handing an officer cash tomorrow, like they wanted tonight, should I pursue this further? I should always be able to get a receipt right?

It all sounds fishy to me, but I'm suspicious of everyone.

That said, you know where the event occurred.
Use that location to find out the name of the police agency that serves that location.

Visit the police station and ask to speak with the watch commander.

Before you go, make copies of EVERYTHING and keep oroginals; give copies to watch commander.

Walmart will be able to provide video to the police.

You have your video, too.

See what you can learn.

I smell scam.

I bet these nut balls were wanna be cop impersonators!

That's **NOT** the way things work in PA. A summary disorderly conduct offense would be a yellow "ticket" looking thing. You only have to put up a moderate "bail" (it's either $50 or $100, I don't recall) and that you can mail in. You don't give it to the "officer."

If you were charged with a misdemeanor, you should have appeared before a magistrate (they have one on duty 24/7) and the magistrate would have issued you a bond (secured, unsecured) or ROR.

Back