Business Contracts Threat to sue for incomplete work

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hello.

I have been working on a clients home insulating it in the crawl space under the house.
On February 28th 2019 he asked me if i would be finished soon because it would be getting colder and his tenants were complaining about the cold floors. I told him that I would be finished by Sunday March 3rd 2019. He agreed and gave me a check in the amount of $650 as compensation for materials I had already installed in his home. With that $650 he started adding things onto the work order and recording every response that I made verbally. the next morning i took his check to my bank and deposited it. On Friday March 1st 2019 I was not able to be reached by phone because I went to get materials to finish the crawl space . two days later my bank told me his check was bad it had bounced. Since he could not reach me he called my office to complain that I was not answering his calls and that I simply decided to rip him off and leave the work incomplete. Now he is calling threatening to sue me for the full balance of all the work unless i refund all the money he gave me. I never told him I would not complete the work. and we never set a completion date until February 28th and i was already working on the place for nearly a month. What can I do? Please help. Thank you.

Sounds like you've got a lunatic for a client. I suggest you go see him and see what it will take to placate him.

As for adding things to the work order, do you have a written contract? Does the contract say no adds or ups without it being in writing and signed by both parties? If it doesn't it should.

Sounds like you've got a lunatic for a client. I suggest you go see him and see what it will take to placate him.

As for adding things to the work order, do you have a written contract? Does the contract say no adds or ups without it being in writing and signed by both parties? If it doesn't it should.

No, no written contract. The $650 check he gave me bounced. but before that happened he sent me a text message telling me the check was bad and that he had to get me another one, but i told him that I already deposited it, and he said that he would put money into the account to cover it and he didn't. I gave him and opportunity to pay me using square the nigh before i deposited the check, but he refused and insisted on a check instead.

No, no written contract. The $650 check he gave me bounced. but before that happened he sent me a text message telling me the check was bad and that he had to get me another one, but i told him that I already deposited it, and he said that he would put money into the account to cover it and he didn't. I gave him and opportunity to pay me using square the nigh before i deposited the check, but he refused and insisted on a check instead.

Sorry for the typos. I know he must be a little off.

Back