This is a long one. Commercial Property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbirch23

Feb 2008 I started renovating a 1921 building to have a restaurant downstairs and apartments upstairs. Insurance agent advised to just carry builders risk until completion. Later that month a neighbors property caught on fire and caused approx. $50,000 in damages to my upstairs, roof, etc. Policy did not cover. Neighbors policy did not cover. I stopped working onthe apartments and finished to restaurant.
In June 2009 I stopped operating the restaurant and leased to someone else and began working on the apartments. I informed my agent and he said he would make the changes to the policy. In July a water lined burst upstairs and floods the lower level. I filed a claim and was denied. Said I had no water coverage. I went to agents office in August. Made payment and asked and the changes that needed to be made to my policy. He said it was taken care of and everything was covered. He would call me to set up an appointment to go over all the additional changes he was making to the policy. He never called but I had called him abotu 10 times with no return call. Oct. 1 - burglary at my property. All building materials, fixtures, tools, restaurant equip. stolen.. Approx $17,000 according to police investigation. Filed claim. Received a call in mid november to tell that building materials and fixtures that were not attached were not covered. But they would be sending a check for the equipment approx $5000. Dec.7 2009 I received a certified letter from the adjuster that they would not be paying the claim because my policy was cancelled in August 2009. I had no knowledge of this. No letter or anything. I had even been in my agents office and had called him many times. Since getting the letter denying my claim and saying my coverage was cancelled I have called my agents office 17 times and I have even called him on his cell phone. He returned my call on December 10 and left a message on my voice mail stating he would be out of the state until Monday December 14 and would call first thing that morning. I still have not heard from him. What is your take on this? Do I have a case?

I went to agents office in August. Made payment and asked and the changes that needed to be made to my policy.
Dec.7 2009 I received a certified letter from the adjuster that they would not be paying the claim because my policy was cancelled in August 2009.
he would be out of the state until Monday December 14 and would call first thing that morning. I still have not heard from him. What is your take on this?
If and when that conversation ever takes place, it sounds like it will be very interesting.

You might have a case against your agent for cancelling your policy or doing something else he shouldn't have done. You probably don't have a case against your insurance company: if your policy was cancelled, that's that as far as they're concerned. You should go see a lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back