They "Lost" my paperwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purplerazz

My lease ends in September and I want to move out. I got a letter in the mail a little while back that said I needed to turn in paperwork by July 10th if I wanted to move out, otherwise they would renew my lease for another year. So, I dropped off the paperwork in the first week of July. I just found out that they never got my paperwork and now they expect me to pay two months rent to leave at the end of my lease because I'm now breaking the lease that they renewed. They're denying that they ever got it and say I have no proof. But they have no proof that they didn't burn my papers once I turned my back. What can I do?

They "lost" my pepper work

My lease ends in September and I want to move out. I got a letter in the mail a little while back that said I needed to turn in paperwork by July 10th if I wanted to move out, otherwise they would renew my lease for another year. So, I dropped off the paperwork in the first week of July. I just found out that they never got my paperwork and now they expect me to pay two months rent to leave at the end of my lease because I'm now breaking the lease that they renewed. They're denying that they ever got it and say I have no proof. But they have no proof that they didn't burn my papers once I turned my back. What can I do?

This is why return receipts are available when mailing.
Your law would not renew for one year, it would renew on a month to month basis. It seems that at most you would be due for one more month of rent, assuming you have now given proper notice .
You can certainly move and not pay the money that they ask . If they want it that bad they can take you to court and argue their case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back