Business Contracts There was no contract signed..

Audra

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hi there, thank you for all responses that will be had.

My husband is a business owner, he did not have the customer sign any documents, nor did he say when the job would be completed exactly. The customer said he has gotten in contact with his attorney, because my husband is still working on the project. ( He does paint and body work ) .
He has only had the boat for a month exactly. Can he be sued for not having it finished, even though there was nothing in writing saying when it was to be done?
Thank you for your time. Any input is welcome! -Audra

Anyone can be sued by anyone for anything.

I assume what you really want to know is whether any lawsuit that the customer might file would be likely to succeed. Needless to say, addressing the merits of a hypothetical lawsuit would involve a substantial amount of guesswork.

What I can tell you is that the lack of a written contract would not be fatal to such a lawsuit. In most situations, verbal contracts are as enforceable as written contracts.

Why is it taking him a month? How big is the boat? Is he working on it every day? Or did he collect money from the boat owner and then put the project aside while working on smaller, quicker jobs to keep the cash flow going?

A court will look at how long it should reasonably take to finish a job based on industry standards.

I would also wonder if the boat is available for the customer to take back at any given time.
If taking too long, I would get my boat and take it elsewhere rather than harass someone about doing it faster.

Back