Therapist broke confidentialty

Status
Not open for further replies.

mae853

I was referred to see a therapist after been discharged from the hospital, and i sat and told her about my situation and within an hour after i left, recieved a call from her office. I answered the phone thinking it was her, the caller said that she was a colleague with whom i had spoken, she said that she wanted to help me regarding the situation with my kids. About 30 mins after the call, i felt this therapist broke confidentiality by talking to this person i dont know. Do you think i could file a civil claim in this matter?

No, not if it was someone from her office. Confidentiality does not apply to other providers who may be participating in your care.

I suggest you review the paperwork you signed, which likely allows consultation with other professionals in their organization.

Ok, but at the time I thought that she was operating in my favor, but she only wanted info, which to be honest it could have been anyone that was on the other end of the phone, so I can't really know who I was speaking with.

I don't think the therapist would have given the info to just anyone. After getting info from you, she probably thought this colleague was the best person to help you with your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back