TheLaw on NYCLA and Lawline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
It was a great night yesterday at the New York County Lawyer's Association here in New York City. I've been on a little hiatus this past week preparing the last minute research for the ethics portion of Law and Social Networking, which I was asked to provide. We had a great faculty and it was a big hit and will soon be available on video at Lawline, for those of you who are attorneys!

For the benefit of those here, I'll be uploading my materials for its educational and entertainment value! In addition to covering DMCA takedown notices I spoke about the ethics of asking a third person to make a friend request of an adverse witness to gain access to his/her private profile page as well as the ethics of blogging and microblogging (aka Twitter.) I'll provide more information like this and others in the blog as well as my personal blog too, for anyone who is interested.

For those of you who participated and might read this, thanks so much for putting on a great show!

Let's be Friends: The Legal Ramifications of Social Networking- ONLINE REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED; TO REGISTER, PLEASE DO SO AT-DOOR PROIR TO THE START OF THE PROGRAM

Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM

Registration for this course is now closed.

Course ID: C061009

Number of Sessions: 1

Credits: 3 MCLE Credits
3 MCLE Credits: 1 Ethics; 2 Skills; Transitional and Non-transitional

Course Description:

Today more and more people are joining at least one social networking site. Young adults on MySpace and Facebook or business professionals on LinkedIn, people are taking advantage of these new online meeting spaces to make acquaintances, communicate and expand business opportunities. Social networking sites enable users to publish content. Publishing content can create a number of legal issues, such as defamation or copyright infringement. What legal responsibility should users or vendors have for content? What other legal responsibility flows from the use of social networking data by employers, advertisers/marketing and government agencies?

* This interactive program uses technology, statutes and case law to explore issues involving social networking as it pertains to privacy, property rights as well as vendor and user legal liability
* The pane; will focus on emerging technology and software that may be used to extend the reach of social networks and add some new legal issues to the mix, as well as new concepts, such as behavioral marketing, which will be explored.

http://www.nycla.org/index.cfm?section=CLE&page=CLE_Detail&itemID=1632&dateID=20090610

Let's be Friends: The Legal Ramifications of Social Networking

Faculty:
Joseph J. Bambara, Azure Media, Inc.; Stephen Kline, Esq., Former General Counsel of Xanga.com Inc.; Jarno Vanto , Esq., Vanto Law PLLC; Michael M. Wechsler, The Law Network, LLC
Program Co-sponsor: NYCLA's Cyberspace Law Committee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back