Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft theft

sharmadeepali

Jurisdiction
California
Hello Sir/Ma'am

I am an international student in California and one of my roommate has stolen $4300 cash from my wardrobe, and she did confess that ,but in front of police officer she said that she did not confess, but in my phone i have her recording saying that "she wants to compromise and will pay the money in a week time". So now i have the report number and want to drag her to the court as she is not willing to pay me back.

So my question is whether that recording will be helpful against her or no". Please suggest me as being a student it was a big amount for me as well.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact the police in person.
Take the recording.
Ask a detective or officer to listen to the recording.

All you can do is try.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hello Sir/Ma'am

I am an international student in California and one of my roommate has stolen $4300 cash from my wardrobe, and she did confess that ,but in front of police officer she said that she did not confess, but in my phone i have her recording saying that "she wants to compromise and will pay the money in a week time". So now i have the report number and want to drag her to the court as she is not willing to pay me back.

So my question is whether that recording will be helpful against her or no". Please suggest me as being a student it was a big amount for me as well.

Thanks in advance

Why are you on the Internet on some forum? You called the cops. You filed a report. Let the police do their jobs.

Have fun in small claims court. Even IF you get a ruling in your favor you'll never see that money. Why would you leave $4300 CASH anywhere? Put that crap in the bank. Somewhere else but near your sticky finger roommate.

Why are you on the Internet on some forum? You called the cops. You filed a report. Let the police do their jobs.

Have fun in small claims court. Even IF you get a ruling in your favor you'll never see that money. Why would you leave $4300 CASH anywhere? Put that crap in the bank. Somewhere else but near your sticky finger roommate.
Hi leslie
Yes i am going to small claim court, ya i know i did the stupid thing by trusting her....lesson learned.....but the only reason why i am on this forum is because i wanted to know whether that recording would be helpful or not in my case. Although my lawyer has said that its a strong evidence. And its Ok if i don't get my money back but i want to teach her a lesson so that she cannot do this to anybody else

Hi leslie
Yes i am going to small claim court, ya i know i did the stupid thing by trusting her....lesson learned.....but the only reason why i am on this forum is because i wanted to know whether that recording would be helpful or not in my case. Although my lawyer has said that its a strong evidence. And its Ok if i don't get my money back but i want to teach her a lesson so that she cannot do this to anybody else

How will it teach her a lesson? It depends on the laws about recording someone in your state if you can use that.

You realize that there are filing fees to file in small claims court. There will go that money too. But hey it's your life.

Back