Naturalization, Citizenship Theft of Naturalization papers

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirwoo

I am repeating a question I posted on the Banking Law forum because it also includes an immigration paper and I am not sure if different people are monitoring different forums.

My uncle keeps his social security card, his old Hong Kong ID, and his US naturalization papers in the safety deposit box at his local bank in Chinatown. On December 22nd, he discovered them missing. He verbally reported it to bank employees who assured him that no one but my uncle himself had the keys that could open the box. Yesterday,1/8/07 his stuff magically reappeared. His social security card and HK ID was back but his naturalization paper was altered, especially the picture. He talked to a manager who would not give him anything to fill out to report the incident.

I have several questions about how to deal with this further and need some advice/suggestions.
Should he file a police report in the case of identity theft?
Should we report it to immigration in case the "borrowed"/stolen documents were used to smuggle someone into the country?
Has anyone ever heard of this happening at a bank? I know I had a hard time believing it even from my own flesh and blood and he was crying and shaking from fear of someone using his identity to do something illegal.

Any advice would be appreciated. I thank you in advance.

I am repeating a question I posted on the Banking Law forum because it also includes an immigration paper and I am not sure if different people are monitoring different forums.

My uncle keeps his social security card, his old Hong Kong ID, and his US naturalization papers in the safety deposit box at his local bank in Chinatown. On December 22nd, he discovered them missing. He verbally reported it to bank employees who assured him that no one but my uncle himself had the keys that could open the box. Yesterday,1/8/07 his stuff magically reappeared. His social security card and HK ID was back but his naturalization paper was altered, especially the picture. He talked to a manager who would not give him anything to fill out to report the incident.

I have several questions about how to deal with this further and need some advice/suggestions.
Should he file a police report in the case of identity theft?
Should we report it to immigration in case the "borrowed"/stolen documents were used to smuggle someone into the country?
Has anyone ever heard of this happening at a bank? I know I had a hard time believing it even from my own flesh and blood and he was crying and shaking from fear of someone using his identity to do something illegal.

Any advice would be appreciated. I thank you in advance.

double post

http://www.thelaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10158

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back