The Paycheck Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

haydensbirch

Okay. Here's the dilemma.
Back in October 06 I was going to cash my roommates check at my bank to save her a $5 surcharge from getting it cashed at a gas station. So I go to my credit union and they won't cash the check because she doesn't have an account there and at the time my credit union only had members who worked for goverment or who's parents opened them an account as in my case.

So I keep her signed check in the middle console of my car. A week later I go to look for it but can't find it. So we resolve that A:Someone we were hanging out with snatched it or B:We threw it away on accident when cleaning the car out

So we go back to this place of employment and ask a manager Terry to find out about this check and either A: to reorder the check or if it's been cashed B: we need to know so we can do something about it with the police department. The check was only 200 dollars and some change. He says he'll check on it. We come back weeks later..still no info, he forget to check on the check. Weeks later we come back, he tells us to come back. And this continues until now. It's February and still no check. We went last week to remind him again and was hoping he would have it but he didn't and told us to call him this week.

So Jayne my roommate calls the company number and tries to find his extension on the dial by name directory to leave him a message but she doesn't know his last name so she goes by the dial by name directory and leaves a message for the owner since it would seem the manager we were in contact with these past months seemed more than too busy/incompetent to really get to the bottom of it.

So today a completely different manager named Chris calls and is rude with Jayne. He chastises her for talking to Terry about the issue, he chastises her verbally about leaving a message on the owners voicemail and that 'he thought it sounded like Jayne and implied to her that the voice message she had was sent to the company's lawyer, he chastises her because it's 'only 200 dollars and he's been on the phone with her for 10 minutes of his time and his time is worth that much', and just being strangely defensive and unhelpful.
He tells her the last check they issued her was on October 23rd and that it was cashed at a Regions bank. He calls later and contradicts himself and tells her the last check was issued on the 16th. He wouldn't give her the check number either, he said if the police come up there he will give it to them. I don't understand why he's being so uncooperative but by him acting like this I think he may be lying to keep funds in the company account and that we'll give up.

I've tried contacting the company that prints their checks and they can't help, I've tried contacting Regions bank and they won't help because they need the check number and the bank that the company's account is at, and the sherriff won't begin to file a report unless Jayne can get a check number. The company is being completely uncooperative and the lady at H.R. won't call us back either so it seems like they're scamming us. Do I just need to go to the sherriff department/investigator office and ask them to help and they might be more inclinced to action if we come to them live in person? I don't know what to do. I've reached a brick wall and it seems to me that it's unjust that a company can withhold information about an illegal check cashing to start investigation. Also Jayne tries to contact Terry to ask for his help but he tells Jayne he was told by upper management not to talk to her. This seems like they're hiding something! Please help!

Kind regards,
Hayden

Last edited:
It's not that they're hiding anything; it's that you have no legal standing to be talking to anyone about someone else's paycheck.

YOU stop making the phone calls and have Jayne make them. They're not going to talk to you - they not only have no legal obligation to, they could be subject to penalites for disclosing confidential info to someone other than the holder of the paycheck.

It's not that they're hiding anything; it's that you have no legal standing to be talking to anyone about someone else's paycheck.

YOU stop making the phone calls and have Jayne make them. They're not going to talk to you - they not only have no legal obligation to, they could be subject to penalites for disclosing confidential info to someone other than the holder of the paycheck.

Google legal stranger.

I did.

Everything on the first two pages had to do with the protection of children.

As far as me contacting people on Jayne's behalf, I never actually made any telephone calls to any individual with the company who was withholding the information she required. The only phone call I did make was to the company that actually 'prints' the checks for their client and I asked them if they could disclose information to Jayne about her check to go behind the company's back who's giving us a difficult time. Jayne was telling me about the conversations she had with the manager who wasn't giving clear information. He said he wasn't going to give her information but I emailed the CEO and asked for him to intervene since it seemed like it was awfully unfair for them to withold information about a check that was cashed without Jayne's authorization. I got a reply to my email and he said he would print the checks for the year if we paid the bank charges for copies of those checks.

Last edited:
I got a reply to my email and he said he would print the checks for the year if we paid the bank charges for copies of those checks.

Do you agree or disagree with what you were told?

Well I wished they at least gave off the feeling like they really cared and wanted to cooperate. Quite the contrary, Jayne said the guy had a bad attitude and acted like we were trying to scam someone. I don't mind paying for copies of the checks if it will prove that there was a check and it was cashed without Jayne's authorization.
On the other hand, I don't know if showing what checks were 'cashed' is the resolution because if the check that we lost was in fact never cashed, we'd need information from the 'check printy agency' to see what checks they actually printed. Right now I'd say I'm rather dissatisfied with the way it's been handled.

Well I wished they at least gave off the feeling like they really cared and wanted to cooperate. Quite the contrary, Jayne said the guy had a bad attitude and acted like we were trying to scam someone. I don't mind paying for copies of the checks if it will prove that there was a check and it was cashed without Jayne's authorization.
On the other hand, I don't know if showing what checks were 'cashed' is the resolution because if the check that we lost was in fact never cashed, we'd need information from the 'check printy agency' to see what checks they actually printed. Right now I'd say I'm rather dissatisfied with the way it's been handled.

So your feelings were hurt?

Emotions have nothing to do with this. No my feelings weren't 'hurt'. As far as 'feelings' I am inclined to 'feel' they wouldn't think twice about swindling. Therefore I will admit my 'feelings' are certainly suspicious of them. My basis for 'feeling' this is due to manager behavior being a: uncooperative & b: contradicting the other manager whom we had been in contact with for a few months regarding the check. Manager #1 said: check was not cashed. Manager #2 said: Check was cashed.
For someone who's honest like myself, I can easily sense such discrepancies. It leads to more on a suspicion on a logical basis. They have something to gain from being misleading. If the check was not cashed they may be proving so difficult in attempt to keep the money and say that the check never existed or not give information because they have no workplace values. Thus, why we are requesting information because their responses make them seem less than trustworthy. :no: We'd rather look at the information ourselves than take their word at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back