The car

M

mzlauriz

Jurisdiction
California
I hired a lawyer to take my ex back to court. He had omitted pertinent financial info in our divorce back in February. In our last court appearance on Oct 18th the judge ruled in my favor receiving half of his military retirement and in on my terms for child support. However, there's a car. The car is in his name. In the original decree I was awarded the car and all responsibilities. I cannot drive and neither can my son. In a settlement agreement I said I would refinance the car and take over payments. When I got home, (court was in Cali and I live in AZ) I was declined loans and no one would co-sign with me. So I told my lawyer I couldn't do it. What does this mean in me getting the retirement and child support? We have a status hearing scheduled for January 13th. Only the lawyers have to attend.

Why argue over peanuts when you are eating steak (50% of his retirement for natural life, and a DoD ID card with TriCare, PX, & Commissary privileges)???

Tell your lawyer because of your health issues, to work it out giving your former spouse the car.

Don't mention your inability to obtain financing, because he'll decline your generous "gift"!

In the future, reveal less, because its more!

I just want to know if it's going to affect the judge's ruling. If he's going to change his mind? The car is SOLELY in my ex husband's name. He has been the one making the payments since he brought it home in 2012. The ONLY reason I have it and have any "responsability" is because he left it with me when he left me in June 2015. The loan is still in his name. Technically I could call the bank and say I'm bringing them the car. Please get a hold of my ex and have him figure out a way to get it from their parking lot in AZ to SC.

I just want to know if it's going to affect the judge's ruling. If he's going to change his mind? The car is SOLELY in my ex husband's name. He has been the one making the payments since he brought it home in 2012. The ONLY reason I have it and have any "responsability" is because he left it with me when he left me in June 2015. The loan is still in his name. Technically I could call the bank and say I'm bringing them the car. Please get a hold of my ex and have him figure out a way to get it from their parking lot in AZ to SC.

As you further explain things, NO, the car sitting in your driveway SHOULD have NOTHING to do with the final decree and separation of property.

I am NOT, however, the judge presiding over your case.

Your judge MIGHT see things differently.

Therefore, you should speak with your lawyer to ensure you receive the results you desire.

Back