Texas is so lucky!! You all got these...

justblue

PHOTO: Acid-shooting 'spider-scorpion' found in park will haunt your nightmares

205883168_4432121513472800_6579254978661265967_n.jpg

They are non-venomous, and the "acid" they shoot is mostly (basically) vinegar.

Yeah, they aren't the prettiest thing to look at, but they are basically harmless to humans. Their pincers might hurt a bit though.

They are non-venomous, and the "acid" they shoot is mostly (basically) vinegar.

Yeah, they aren't the prettiest thing to look at, but they are basically harmless to humans. Their pincers might hurt a bit though.
I disagree. The psychological damage it would cause if it were to crawl on ones body would be very damaging and harmful. :p

Uhhuh...exactly. Some things are better left unseen.

I wish THAT could be true, my friend.

I disagree. The psychological damage it would cause if it were to crawl on ones body would be very damaging and harmful. :p

Those things are harmless for the most part.

However, there are two legged critters that take the human form which one should be far more skittish about.

Take this trio of Texas critters for example:

trioofkillers.png

Three Killeen men were indicted this week on unrelated felony armed assault charges after police said they used guns and knives during alleged incidents in the city earlier this year.

Joseph Marquis Henry, 22, and Desmond Law, 41, each were indicted Wednesday by a grand jury on a second-degree felony charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. In another unrelated case, Clarence Jones Jr., 25, was indicted on one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and one count of assault of a family or household member by choking.

Henry and Law were not listed in the Bell County Jail on Thursday. Jones was being held in lieu of bonds totaling $105,000, including a misdemeanor charge of interfering with an emergency call.

Three Killeen men indicted on assault charges after alleged gun and knife incidents

I'll stick with keeping snakes. I don't do bugs or spiders* and especially not scorpions.

* Spiders I take outside and let go because I understand their role in nature.

I'll stick with keeping snakes. I don't do bugs or spiders* and especially not scorpions.

* Spiders I take outside and let go because I understand their role in nature.
My youngest daughter (19) loves bugs. All bugs. Has always been fascinated by them. When we first moved to the Vegas area we rented a very nice apartment. One night we had the slider open for some visiting stray kittens and their mother. A freaking HUGE (about 4 inches) cockroach came in. My sister was going to step on it but DD grabbed a solo cup, put it in, brought it WAY far away and put in on the ground.
About 3 weeks later I was in my room and heard a scratchy noise, look up and there was another one of those vile critters...I freaked out and made a noise that caused my sister and daughter to think I was in some kind of medical distress. Again, my DD just picked the critter up in a cup and brought it outside. The guys upstairs got a kick out of seeing her do that...DD is a very beautiful woman and they were surprised that she was so calm with something so nasty.

My eldest was rather fearless as well...years ago when she was just 5ish, my ex and I took her to Curious Creatures in Beverly Massachusetts. They had all sorts of strange little beasties. The ex thought it would be funny to scare the $h!* outta me and had our daughter pick up one of the big, black scorpions. The thing was HUGE! I hear "Look Mommy!" and look over at her and this giant thing was crawling up her little arm toward her face. "Put it down, Baby" I said and mouthed the word a$$hole in my ex's direction.

I do not like bugs. At. All.

My sister has lived in Texas for many years and she regularly texts me pictures of the creepy crawlies they've found on their property. Copperheads, scorpions, and an assortment of spectacularly ugly things that are apparently harmless but look really alarming (kind of like the critter in the first post).

Seeing those kind of things up close & personal would totally creep me out, but she has pointed out that here we have black bears that roam around town pretty freely during the summer, including in our backyard occasionally. So I guess it's all relative to what you're used to.

I personally will catch & release spiders if they are in the house, with one caveat - if you land on my body you WILL die, whether I kill you intentionally or you're mortally injured while I do the "there's a spider in my bra" dance, which I just performed last night when one made the ill-advised decision to drop down on me while I was watching tv!

My sister has lived in Texas for many years and she regularly texts me pictures of the creepy crawlies they've found on their property. Copperheads, scorpions, and an assortment of spectacularly ugly things that are apparently harmless but look really alarming (kind of like the critter in the first post).

Seeing those kind of things up close & personal would totally creep me out, but she has pointed out that here we have black bears that roam around town pretty freely during the summer, including in our backyard occasionally. So I guess it's all relative to what you're used to.

I personally will catch & release spiders if they are in the house, with one caveat - if you land on my body you WILL die, whether I kill you intentionally or you're mortally injured while I do the "there's a spider in my bra" dance, which I just performed last night when one made the ill-advised decision to drop down on me while I was watching tv!
I'm the same....I don't do the catch and release myself, but ask my youngest to do it for me. She is my hero. There was this one time that a LARGE spider was crawling on my LR floor and DD wasn't home. I grabbed a large, thick book off the coffee table and dropped it on Mr. Spider. It wasn't until after I did the deed that I noticed the book title was "Bugs". Ironic that.

Back during Boston's Big Dig lots of creepy-crawlies were disturbed and ended up in places you don't usually see such things, such as the 8th floor of the building I worked in. I don't usually mind bugs and can either step on them or do catch and release as appropriate, but this thing was HUGE. The (female) assistant sales director and I hated ourselves for doing it, but we finally called one of the male engineers to come deal with the bug for us. His immediate reaction was a sort of scornful, "Women and bugs" expression, but he whistled when he saw it. "Here, kitty, kitty!" he called. It ignored him and continued its wander down the hall. He put a styrofoam cup over it (hey, it was the 80's) and the cup continued walking without interruption. Finally he managed to slide a magazine under it and take it...wherever.

Back during Boston's Big Dig lots of creepy-crawlies were disturbed and ended up in places you don't usually see such things, such as the 8th floor of the building I worked in. I don't usually mind bugs and can either step on them or do catch and release as appropriate, but this thing was HUGE. The (female) assistant sales director and I hated ourselves for doing it, but we finally called one of the male engineers to come deal with the bug for us. His immediate reaction was a sort of scornful, "Women and bugs" expression, but he whistled when he saw it. "Here, kitty, kitty!" he called. It ignored him and continued its wander down the hall. He put a styrofoam cup over it (hey, it was the 80's) and the cup continued walking without interruption. Finally he managed to slide a magazine under it and take it...wherever.
So...what kind of critter was it?

Palmetto bug? Cockroach? Damned if I know, something with a hard shell and about a hundred and sixteen legs and was damn near 4 inches long.
Sounds like an American Cockroach.

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-24_17-45-39.jpeg
    upload_2021-7-24_17-45-39.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1
I hadn't ever seen a cockroach in my life until we found one on the wall in our department many years ago. A co-worker came to me saying "come look at this! What is it?" I went and looked and said it looked like a cockroach. A HUGE one, but a cockroach nonetheless. My co-workers were like "OMG, how do we get rid of it?" like maybe somehow the things were impervious to everything except a nuclear weapon. I went and grabbed my newspaper, rolled it up, and smacked the sucker. Thank goodness, it died with that one blow - I'm not sure what I would have done if it had gotten up and walked away. We put it in a jar to save for the exterminator on his next monthly visit, just so he'd know one had escaped the last time he'd sprayed.

My co-workers treated me like I was some sort of bad*** bug killer for a while after that, not knowing that if I hadn't acted quickly and on impulse I would probably have just chosen to board up the whole area and start over in a new office!

Back