Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication [texas] age: 20, having a party

Status
Not open for further replies.

molotov

Hi, i plan on having a party tomorrow evening. I own the condo that we will be throwing it in, and there will be drinking there im sure (no other substances). my question is this, if i am not drinking, can i get into trouble for anything if the cops show up? people will be bringing their own drinks and i'm sure minors will be drinking. I am trying to get people to sleep at my place, but i am positive i wont be able to convince everyone to stay. I dont plan on drinking so that i can watch out for the place and make sure no one leaves drunk. My main concern is for the minors (including me) at the party.

i read a thread about a 16 y/o from El Paso getting a citation because he was the only one with a drink in his hand at the party, and i read the reply to him that posted the law concerning MIPs in Texas, but i am having a hard time interpreting this one. thanks in advance for any insight that you might have, i appreciate it.

If you are smart you will not allow any drinking by minors. Not only can you get into trouble with the cops for "aiding the delinquency of minors", you can get into much deeper trouble if something happens. Let's say one of the minors drinks and because of that falls down the stairs, gets run over by a car outside or even gets killed on the way home because of drunk driving. You cannot say lawsuit fast enough until his parents will have started to sue you.

NYClex said:
If you are smart you will not allow any drinking by minors. Not only can you get into trouble with the cops for "aiding the delinquency of minors", you can get into much deeper trouble if something happens. Let's say one of the minors drinks and because of that falls down the stairs, gets run over by a car outside or even gets killed on the way home because of drunk driving. You cannot say lawsuit fast enough until his parents will have started to sue you.

yes i understand this, that's why im concerned. i dont know if it makes a difference, but by 'minors' i just meant less than 21, not necessarily younger than 18 (i haven't invited anyone younger than 18 if that makes a difference, which im sure it probably doesn't). what would be the best way to try to cover myself and prevent <21 from drinking? is there a 'legal' way to do it, say by checking ids and putting X's on hands?

thanks for your input by the way.

even in the case they are between 18 and 21 you never know what will happen. If some accident happens they will quickly forget all the friendship they shared with you and sue you themselves for letting them drink. Any way to shift the blame will be welcome. Also their victim, assuming that they run somebody over being drunk, might sue you. In that case it would not matter how old they were as long as it was illegal for them to drink and you provided the drinks.

I see two ways: Either don't invite anyone under 21 or don't serve any alcohol. Or go the cumbersome way and check IDs and watch like a hawk.

i really don't think theres anything to worry about. i've been to tons of parties where minors were drinking and never got busted. just make sure to keep everyone inside the house and make sure they're quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back