Terminology issue

Jurisdiction
New York
Hi everybody!

I am a French student in New York and I have some terminology issues. I am currently drafting my resume and I do not know what would be the equivalent of my French Master II in Business law.

This 5-year degree enables me to work as a lawyer in-house. I was told to use Juris Doctorate but I am afraid it is not completely the same thing or Corporate Jurist Diploma. What do you think would be best?

Thank you for your time and help!

Sincerely,

Sophie

what would be the equivalent of my French Master II in Business law.

Some people use the early 20th century term LLM, or LLM in International Law.

Some people use the JD.

It shouldn't be an issue, because you can prove it and explain it.

However, you can't practice law in the USA unless you pass a bar exam.

The NY state bar exam has stymied some the best wanna be lawyers.

I've never taken it, so I am commenting based solely on what others have told me.

To do that your degree must contain certain required course credits.

You could call your state bar and inquire, or visit a law school and ask the registrar to evaluate your degree.

Be sure to take your transcript.

US law in 49 states is founded on British common law principles.

The laws of Louisiana most closely mirror the legal system in France.

You might consider relocating to Louisiana, because you'll find the practice of US law as troubling as I do the law in Louisiana.

As far as in house counsel in France, versus in the USA, the jobs are nothing alike.

Now that I think of it, you might also wish to discuss all of this with an admissions counselor at any law school.

Most would be happy to meet with you and possess the knowledge to assist you in your endeavors.

Bon chance, mon ami.

I would avoid using JD unless you add a note indicating it is an equivalent.
Try simply listing what you actually earned and include the note that it is JD equivalent.

I agree with AJ, LLM would be the best description. If you want to make a parenthetical comment that it is equivalent to a US JD, I guess you could, but I wouldn't claim a JD when you don't have one.

The good news is that the NY Bar will let you use such (presuming your degree is from an accredited school in France) in order to qualify to take the exam.

As a hiring manager, I would prefer to see the name of the actual degree and not your best guess at an equivalent. If I have a question about what the degree represents, I'll ask you.

I am currently drafting my resume and I do not know what would be the equivalent of my French Master II in Business law.

There might not be an equivalent which is why I suggest you use a functional resume instead of a chronological resume or combination of both.

A functional resume allows you to summarize your qualifications at the top where you can explain what your degree is all about and then list your employment and educational history.

That way it's the first thing a prospective employer sees upon reviewing your resume.

Some of the following resources will explain:

functional vs chronological resume at DuckDuckGo

Hi,
Thank you all very much for your advice! I wrote the French name of my degree + that it was a JD equivalent.
Thank you very much @army judge for the explanations about the US legal system, @adjusterjack for the advice on the resume and more generally thank you all for your point of view!

Have a nice day! Bonne journée à tous ! :)

Sophie

Votre français est vraiment bon, il n'y a aucune faute dans la phrase ! Merci beaucoup et bonne continuation !

Merci beaucoup. J'essaie de parler quand je rends visite à mon frère à la Nouvelle-Orléans. J'ai un cousin à Montréal et je peux l'utiliser quand je visite.

Back