Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

denisel

I was terminated for supposedly giving confidential information to a co-worker.
I worked for a health insurance company auditing claims that my co-workers had processed to make sure they were accurate. If they are inaccurate, I have to give that person an error.
I had a claim that I wasn't sure was correct or not, so I asked a co-worker to look at it and tell me how she would have processed it.
We are not supposed to tell other co-workers who got errors and who didn't. But, we all have individual id numbers that are on the claims that we process. All you have to do is type this id number into the system and you can find out who's it is.
So, to make a long story short, the claim was incorrect and my co-worker that I had asked to look at it for me let it slip to the person that did the claim incorrectly that she had gotten an error.
This person in turn told the supervisor that I had told my co-worker she had gotten an error. Which I did not. She just happened to see the id number when I was questioning her about the claim.
They called us in seperately to give our sides of the story. They said my story and hers had conflicting information. They decided to terminate me for breaching confidentiality. Is this fair?

They didn't have to give you a reason for termination. Fair or not, as was stated, I'm not hearing any part of your story that would lead me to believe that your termination was illegal.

Originally posted by denisel
I was terminated for supposedly giving confidential information to a co-worker.
I worked for a health insurance company auditing claims that my co-workers had processed to make sure they were accurate. If they are inaccurate, I have to give that person an error.
I had a claim that I wasn't sure was correct or not, so I asked a co-worker to look at it and tell me how she would have processed it.
We are not supposed to tell other co-workers who got errors and who didn't. But, we all have individual id numbers that are on the claims that we process. All you have to do is type this id number into the system and you can find out who's it is.
So, to make a long story short, the claim was incorrect and my co-worker that I had asked to look at it for me let it slip to the person that did the claim incorrectly that she had gotten an error.
This person in turn told the supervisor that I had told my co-worker she had gotten an error. Which I did not. She just happened to see the id number when I was questioning her about the claim.
They called us in seperately to give our sides of the story. They said my story and hers had conflicting information. They decided to terminate me for breaching confidentiality. Is this fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back