Termination Threat (Jealous Manager?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will_481

This is a scenario that I thought I'd only hear of on TV, but this weekend it happened to me.

Friday I had a party. I invited a lot of people including my manager. For the duration of the party, I did not talk to him of work at all.. I dont know how to put this, so I'm going to be blunt. The girl he wanted to 'mess around' with that night 'messed around' with me. Not that it matters, I was completely intoxicated at the time. Saturday rolls around, I am throwing another party. People start showing up, I ask one of my friends "Hey have you talked to (manager)..." my friend said "Yeah, he's not coming tonight..." Party goes on, good times...

Sunday my manager calls me, and says "I think its about time you started looking for another job." He did not fire me, but he basically gave me a 2-3 week range that he'd like me to be gone.

I explained the situation to some friends and was told to sue the business.
Now... I dont know what my rights are really, thats why I'm asking you. I appreciate any help that could be given to me in this matter, thank you.

Unlawyerly opinion

hey Will 481,
Even though I may not be a lawyer, it appears to me that it would be tough to prove he was terminating you soley based on his experience at your party. Before slapping the company with a lawsuit, you have to determine what is it going to cost you to sue. What are your possible gains? What could you lose if you lost the suit? How much time and resources do you have invested in that company? If you sue, you can pretty much eliminate them from your resume. You don't want a future employer contacting them do you? If you have only worked there a few weeks that's one thing, but if you have to carve out a significant time frame from your resume it reflect poorly on your work ethic (even if you're a great worker)

In my experience with managers I have found that typically they can fire you for what ever reason they want and you have little leverage to argue. Obviously he will deny that the jealousy at the party has anything to do with it and will cite numerous infractions that relate to your job performance as the reason they are letting you go. Unfortunately, mixing your business life with personal life is a bit tricky because the dynamic of your work relationship changes.

I have been let go of places before and the reason they list for termination is either totally exaggerated, or of little importance to the real reason the squeezed me out. But lawfully, they have the right to terminate me at will, just like I have the right to quit at will. It sucks, but that's life.

The learning gem here is: Don't piss off the people who sign your paycheck (anyone above you in the company that could affect your employment). I learned this lesson the hardway... a couple times! :p

Tsubo speaks truth. It might be a difficult case to prove. Unless you have an employment contract, he could fire you "at will." This is likely not discrimination that would be actionable. If he is mad because of a girl, then he might get over it in time. If he doesn't, have your own backup plan and have a big smile on your face when you walk out of his office. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back