Termination from a non-profit (church)

M

men44fid

Jurisdiction
California
I work Fulltime at a church, I fear i will be getting fired, my "contract" is "at will", so i can get fired at anytime, The reason I might be getting fired is because my wife (not on payroll, nor legal agreement, or anything like that) she is a volunteer, and she is really Good at what she does, so much so that we've let her take over part of my "tasks", my wife now needs to focus on our 5 month old baby health (she's been in and out of the hospital multiple times), because of this she isn't willing or able to continue this task, I offered my boss to continue doing them myself since it is technically my Job, but the boss only wants her, because she is MUCH better than me (at that specific task), he got really upset that i told her she might sit out for a few weeks and his response was "thats a deal breaker" and that they need to "re-evaluate my employment". IF i get fired is that justifiable? would they be legally responsible to keep paying me, at least for a few months until I find a new Job?

It doesn't matter if it's "justifiable" or not. It's legal.Nothing in Federal law or the law of 49 state, including CA, says that they have to be able to justify a termination. And no, they would not be legally responsible to keep paying you.

IF i get fired is that justifiable?

Yes.

would they be legally responsible to keep paying me, at least for a few months until I find a new Job?

No.

But you should be able to qualify for unemployment compensation.

Given the s--tty attitude of your boss I suggest you have your wife just stop what she's doing immediately and you start looking for another job.

Slavery in this country was abolished a long time ago.

Well gee it sounds like they may terminate you because you're not so good at
your job (or at least that specific task) Nothing illegal about that. Or you could always try to do a better job.

In at-will employment you can be terminated at any time for any reason except for a reason prohibited by law (such as religion, race, gender....) or unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary. This termination would not be illegal.

Sorry.

Back