Terminating month to month lease

Adjusterjaksoff

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I have a tenant who was on a 1 year lease, this lease expired and we continued on a month to month basis for a couple of years. I would like to terminate this lease and want to make sure that I do it legally. Do I just need to give her a notice terminating the month to month agreement or a non renewal of lease notice and that is it? Or are there other forms I need to send?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have a tenant who was on a 1 year lease, this lease expired and we continued on a month to month basis for a couple of years. I would like to terminate this lease and want to make sure that I do it legally. Do I just need to give her a notice terminating the month to month agreement or a non renewal of lease notice and that is it? Or are there other forms I need to send?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Overview of Landlord-Tenant Laws in New Jersey

NJ statute 2A:18-56.b. requires one month notice to terminate a month to month tenancy.

2015 New Jersey Revised Statutes :: Title 2A - ADMINISTRATION OF CIVIL AND CRIMINAL JUSTICE :: Section 2A:18-56 - Proof of notice to quit prerequisite to judgment

I suggest you do it in writing, deliver it personally, and take a witness with you, one who would be willing to testify in court as to delivery if it becomes necessary.

Justblue has provided a website with an overview of NJ landlord tenant laws. It's good as far as it goes but you always want to read actual statute because it's statutes that you'll be quoting in court, not a website summary.

Where statutes are cited look them up at:

2018 New Jersey Revised Statutes

Back