Terminating a lease early

JFinch1993

Jurisdiction
Colorado
Hello,

I have a 6mo lease contract that I have signed with my current landlord, Jan. 1 - July 1. However, we've had some disagreements and he's informed me "You can leave early if you want" "If you want to leave early, you can in May." "No penalty let me know." (I have all of this in text).

I have all of this in text and these texts were exchanged March 30. On April 5 I sent him a text stating that I had decided to terminate early and I had found something else to which he replied "Problem is I offered that before the end of the month. I'll list the room for rent and if I can find someone by May, you are welcome to. I said in May before April began. We are now in April which gives me less than 30 days to find someone. Trust me, I'll try to find someone."

He's posted on Reddit & Craiglist and he's informed me he is looking, which is great. However, if it just so happens that he does not find someone by May 1st what can I do? I've signed a lease elsewhere and I feel as though my lease should terminate regardless since he told me "no penalty" and "you can leave early if you want".

1. Since I have textual evidence that he's agreed to terminate my lease May 1st with no penalty, is that enough to terminate/can he go back on his word? What steps do I need to take, if any?
2.I also have a security deposit (there's 0 damage to the room) so I should be receiving that as well but can he keep that from me?

Hello,

I have a 6mo lease contract that I have signed with my current landlord, Jan. 1 - July 1. However, we've had some disagreements and he's informed me "You can leave early if you want" "If you want to leave early, you can in May." "No penalty let me know." (I have all of this in text).

I have all of this in text and these texts were exchanged March 30. On April 5 I sent him a text stating that I had decided to terminate early and I had found something else to which he replied "Problem is I offered that before the end of the month. I'll list the room for rent and if I can find someone by May, you are welcome to. I said in May before April began. We are now in April which gives me less than 30 days to find someone. Trust me, I'll try to find someone."

He's posted on Reddit & Craiglist and he's informed me he is looking, which is great. However, if it just so happens that he does not find someone by May 1st what can I do? I've signed a lease elsewhere and I feel as though my lease should terminate regardless since he told me "no penalty" and "you can leave early if you want".

1. Since I have textual evidence that he's agreed to terminate my lease May 1st with no penalty, is that enough to terminate/can he go back on his word? What steps do I need to take, if any?
2.I also have a security deposit (there's 0 damage to the room) so I should be receiving that as well but can he keep that from me?

Hello,

Last edited by a moderator:
Your landlord has told you correctly and seems to be doing the right thing.
There is nothing stopping you from moving out if you choose, but you remain responsible for the rent until he obtains a new tenant to take over.

1. It does not appear he did go back on his word. This is just a miscommunication over timing. You can still leave without penalty but he wants 30 days notice, which is standard.
2. Yes, he can keep your deposit IF he can justify that you are responsible for any damage. He may find things that you disagree with.

Based on the fact that he is letting you out early and attempting to find a new tenant, I feel as if you likely have an honest landlord who is not trying to scam you. If the place is in good condition you will probably get your deposit.

Back