Terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

JsMea

I worked at a company for two months i was a seasonal worker and when they hired me they didnt know i was pregnant.On August 20th i had to go to the doctor because i was having contractions.I was on my feet for 8 hours a day so the doctor gave me a note saying id be out of work until further notice which was only a week.When i called work to tell them i was returning i was told they had to terminate me because i wasnt able to receive a temporary leave which i never asked for.They told me theyd give me my job back but i recently called to see if they could hire me back they said they werent allowed to hire any more people.I guess im asking "Are they allowed to do that"?

pregnancy discrim

Pregnancy discrimination is a form of sex discrimination. It is prohibited by both state and federal law. The question is whether you were subjected to adverse actions based on your pregnancy. If you are aware of other employees who took short leaves of absence like yours, who were allowed to return to work, and who were not pregnant, that would certainly bolster your case. On the other hand, if the company treated you consistently with any other seasonal employee who takes a short-term leave, then it is not pregnancy discrimination. In other words, they have to treat you as if you were not pregnant, but they are not obligated to give you special treatment. If you feel you were the victim of pregnancy discrimination, you may want to consult an employment lawyer representing employees and file a charge of discrimination with the EEOC. Under federal law, you have 300 days from the termination to file a charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back