Terminated for not adding boss on facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathyj

I was wondering, I am a CNA for a pediatric office.. We were informed today that we must allow our boss access to our facebook page to ensure no HIPPA violations occur..If they do we would be terminated..If we declined to allow him access we would also be terminated..He said that it a government law that has passed regarding HIPPA and government documents would be given to us.. First I dont believe it is a law..second being terminated for not allowing your boss on your facebook page sounds ridiculous..can he do that? is that not an invasion of privacy or freedom of speech.. Do I have any recourse by saying No?.. and whats gonna stop him from wanting access emails or cell phones...why is it just facebook?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Tell your Boss you don't have a Facebook page.

People misunderstand the concept of freedom of speech. People are, and have been, legally terminated for what they post on their social networking pages for quite some time now. There's a simple rule of thumb :)

Don't post ANYTHING you wouldn't want your spouse, employer, priest or grandmother to read.

Now with that said - are you part of a union?

ETA: It's HIPAA , btw.

If you allow him you may be able to severely limit his access.

Saying you don't have a page might backfire, especially if you show up on co-workers pages or if he has already searched and found your page.... then you might get terminated for having lied.

What if OP simply deletes the page and tells the truth? There is no page. No lie.

Let's face it, if the Boss is looking for an excuse to fire people - the Boss is going to fire people regardless.

Delete the current page, if you have one.
Make a new page, and don't inform any co-workers.
Or, have a friend create a page and give it to you.

Either way, YOU have no page.

Or, give up the lousy page to keep your great job.

Oh so many, many choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back