Terminated and now falsely accused

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmhtrauma

I was recently terminated from a non union, at will job. The employer did not give me a reason, which I understand is legal. However, I filed for unemployment and after a few weeks got a disallowed status due to "...negligence or willfull disregard...". The paper stated that I violated a company rule. I have no idea as to what this rule was. I don't believe I have done anything wrong. In the process of the unemployment paperwork I received a letter from my employers attorney's stating they have "...received reliable information that at the time of termination of your employment you took with you cerain property...". I e-mailed the attorneys in response, and told them that I do not have and did not take what my former employer has accused me of taking. (I was accused of taking documents ie...consent forms). After receiving this, I am concerned that this is my former employers way of trying to keep me from getting back into the same field of medicine. Which means I would be working for their competition. I decided to do some research on my own, and found approx. 6 public records of other former employee's that were accused of the same thing at time of termination. This shows a strong pattern, and the principle of intentionally accusing people of things they know are not true is extremely upsetting. Do I have enough information for a law suit with these other people for defamation and filing false complaints? If so, where do I need to start, and who do I get a hold of to see that no one else will have to suffer through this type of harrassment? Any other information on the information above will truely be appreciated. Thank you!

Do I have enough information for a law suit with these other people for defamation and filing false complaints? (a) None of the elements of defamation have been met and (b) informing the UC division that you were fired for taking these documents does not constitute complaint.

If so, where do I need to start, and who do I get a hold of to see that no one else will have to suffer through this type of harrassment? You have no legal ability to prevent the employer from doing the same thing to other employees. You can only address your own situation, should the employer cross any legal boundaries.

If you believe this employer intends to intentionally interfere with your future employment prospects, you should consult with an attorney. You can't sue for something that hasn't yet happened but an attorney can advise you what the legal boundaries are and you may wish to be prepared in case they are crossed.

"...informing the UC division that you were fired for taking these documents does not constitute complaint."

The employer has actually filed a formal complaint with the county court. Not only on me, but on other past employees. The formal complaint with the court will always be part of our permanent, public accessable, record. I do not think this is morally or ethically right. So my question to you is, is it illegal to knowingly file false complaints to the courts?

Yes but I think it's unlikely that is what the employer is doing. Filing a mistaken complaint is not the same as filing a false complaint. I can only assume that the employer believes they have sufficient evidence that you and another employee took the documents in order to file a criminal complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back