Tenant-Tenant Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtschicago

My boyfriend and I signed a lease with two other people last year, June 1. During the summer, we added one more sub-lessor. We've had a lot of problems over the year, and barely speak anymore. We had asked them earlier this month if they were planning on staying in the space or leaving, and we got a few responses, but were mostly ignored. I spoke to our landlord about getting the new lease and he told me he would drop it off.

He dropped it off a few days ago, while my boyfriend and I were out of town. Our roommates took the lease with his signature, signed it, and emailed us saying that we had 30 days to vacate the space. They said we have to leave by June 10, before our lease is up...

We talked to our landlord and he wasn't aware that this happened. He was under the impression that we would all be re-signing.

I have three questions:

1) We had an option to renew, and we exercise our option with written notice 30 days before end of lease or it would expire. We didn't write anything because we had spoken with our landlord, and he knew that we wanted to re-sign and he was cool with it. Does this have any bearing?

2) Is it possible for them to resign the lease with out us and have it be valid?

3) Is it possible for them to tell us to leave? Especially before the lease agreement ends? If anything, wouldn't we have to leave June 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back