Roomate Tenant/Tenant- Can tenant choose new renter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireless101

I recently signed a one yr. lease (till aug.31 2009) in a 2bd/2ba apt. in san diego ca. I withdrew from school and spoke with the landlord about having someone take over my lease, but he gave all rights to my roommate to choose a new tenant.

We interviewed 3 people who were ready to sign the lease that day and my roommate took 2 days to think about it and all 3 prospects found other housing.
I feel my roommate is being unreasonable in finding a new roommate and wasting both my time and money. She wants to live with a professional, not a student, despite the fact that we live 3 miles from a major university.

1) How much time is my roommate legally allowed to find a new tenant?
2) Can the landlord relinquish all rights to my roommate if I'm left paying the rent each month?
3) If my roommate doesn't find anyone by october, what is the next step I should take?:mad:

1) How much time is my roommate legally allowed to find a new tenant?
As much as they need
2) Can the landlord relinquish all rights to my roommate if I'm left paying the rent each month?
You are bound by terms of your lease
3) If my roommate doesn't find anyone by october, what is the next step I should take?
Pay your portion of rent

Your soon to be former roomate has a right to live with whom he/she chooses not whom you choose. Your breach of contract, lease, does not force roomate to live someone he/she feels undesirable
You can find Tenant/Landlord Law for CA at link below

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back