Tenant Harassment

nets

Jurisdiction
Maryland
Someone in my apartment building has been bullying and personally harassing me. They have written profanity words on my parking permit sign along with my front apartment door twice. I called the police and they informed me that there is nothing they can do. All I can do is once I catch them in the act to submit the evidence to them so that they can arrest them. I have informed my property manager and all she said is that my neighbor above me has complained about me reporting them for making loud noises above me. To me that is motive and a prime suspect. My property manager informed me that all she can do is move me into another apartment. I know that will not resolve anything. All that will do is have them follow me and continue to harass me since they have family that live throughout the complex. I am asking what other precautions can I take to protect myself. I was informed by the police that they feel they will no longer harass me since I called the police, but you and I know that people are bold and do not have respect for the law.

There is no way to predict what someone may do, and although you are probably 100% correct about who is doing these things, you have no proof that the police can take action on. You can talk to your landlord about letting you out of your lease because of this issue, then find another place to live. I know it stinks, but if they are just nasty people and have family who are no better, they will just continue to make your life miserable.

You don't know it was your neighbor, but they are a reasonable suspect.
Either stay where you are and try to not have conflict with them or move to another location if it is really that bad. Consider an entirely different area if necessary.

I called the police and they informed me that there is nothing they can do.

Well...that's obviously not true. It's a somewhat nicer way of saying that they have more important things to deal with.

My property manager informed me that all she can do is move me into another apartment. I know that will not resolve anything. All that will do is have them follow me and continue to harass me since they have family that live throughout the complex.

Sorry, but you know no such thing. You're merely speculating.

That said, howzabout moving out of the complex altogether?

I am asking what other precautions can I take to protect myself

Protect yourself from what? I suppose you could buy and install a video camera setup to try and catch anyone in the act of vandalizing your "parking permit sign" (whatever exactly that means) and your apartment door.

I was informed by the police that they feel they will no longer harass me since I called the police, but you and I know that people are bold and do not have respect for the law.

Neither the police's speculation nor your generalizations are helpful or relevant.

Back