Pets Tenant Disagreements

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsamanthax

Please help!

I recently moved into a converted apartment (large home converted into 4 units) in an old beach town. We live upstairs, where the landlord has chosen to install wood/wood laminate flooring. The issue is, we have a small dog (15 lbs at the most) and with the house being very old and the flooring being a hard surface, the downstairs tenant has now complained only one month into our stay, that the dog having toys is an issue. The listing and rental agreement both indicate that dogs are allowed, however the downstairs tenant states that she can hear everything including dog bones scratching the floor and balls bouncing on the floor (even high-heels and closing doors have been mentioned). I understand that this must be a nuance to the downstairs tenant, however had I known the noise would be such a big issue, I would have found a more suitable location to live peacefully with my little dog. The landlord has suggested speaking to the tenant myself, who I have not even met yet, in order to come to some type of agreement or understanding. Since then, I have made an effort to speak to her and ask what fair solutions she has to offer for the problem. She asked that I take the toys away after a certain time of night and sometimes during the weekends (which I agreed to, as long as the times she chooses is realistic), buying a rug, and getting her soft toys instead. The problem is, our dog has serious stomach issues and in the past has eaten every soft toy, rug or blanket we have left out and gotten very sick.

My question is, at what point is the sound issue not mine or the other tenants, and instead an issue for the landlord to resolve? I am very sensitive to the problem and am willing to work with my downstairs neighbor to a certain extent, however I don't fully believe I should have to take away all of my dog's toys, stop wearing shoes inside, and agree to have NO dog toys at certain times of the weekend and nighttime. I love where we live, but had I known this would be such an issue, I would not have chosen to live here.

Thanks,
Sam

If you are following the rules set out in your lease you don't have any obligation to do more. If the downstairs tenant is unhappy she can leave. You have done your part to to try and resolve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back