Tenant check is bounced

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyN

The rent check from my tenant is bounced. I called him to replace the check but he didn't pick up the phone. Since I can't not cash the check, can I consider this a non-payment of rent and issue a 72-hour notice? What do I do with the bad check? Thanks.

The rent check from my tenant is bounced. I called him to replace the check but he didn't pick up the phone. Since I can't not cash the check, can I consider this a non-payment of rent and issue a 72-hour notice? What do I do with the bad check? Thanks.

Your tenant's rubber check is non-payment of rent.

You can serve him with legal notice.

You can also file suit for eviction after the statutory period has elapsed, and he has still not paid his rent.

You then have to file an eviction action before your county court.

That could eventually end in his eviction.

It won't necessarily mean you'll get your money.

Try resubmitting check in case funds are now available. Once rent is pass due (late) follow your states guidelines for this action. Example if your state requires a 3 day pay or quit notice then do so. If tenant fails to make good on check or reply in acceptable manner to 3 day notice you may file in court to begin eviction process. Make sure your aware of your states laws and guidelines for process including how to serve tenant etc.

Do I need to return the bad check to him? If I do, how do I return it, is first class mail OK?

I also have a question unrelated to this - My tenant sends me partial rent and I don't want to take it unless it is full. How do I deal with this?

Thanks

If you accpet partial rent you cannot evict. Far as returning check thats your call but again you might resubmit it tenants bank for payment

I am agree with the above views and i want to advise you thet if there is no conclusion then go for the proper legal advise from the reputed lawyer of this field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back