Tenant avoiding paying last month's rent

Paul Parks

Jurisdiction
Texas
The tenants of this property have been paying throughout the lease, but they have lied at times about causing damages that cost me, even according to contractors and law enforcement. The spouse received a promotion, but they were required to move to another city. I have extended the lease 3 times (3 month each) due to COVID, because the employer delayed their move. Unfortunately, the last extension was verbal, but I can show payments for the 1st 2 months of the extension and an acknowledgement of needed payment for the 3rd (text messages). Now they are for sure moving, and September is their last month. They have yet to pay the rent, and they say it is due to the spouse that was promoted got sick and was out of work for a while. They were just approved for COVID-related FMLA a week ago, but they have been evasive/unresponsive when I ask about the plan. The last I heard they were waiting for the FMLA COVID-related pay, but HR should be able to provide them with a time the pay should come through. We would not feel so insecure if it weren't for the past lies and the strange unresponsiveness.

All you can do is eventually sue to recover the amounts allegedly owed to you.

If the people relocate out of Texas, suing them in Texas becomes useless.

At some point you might start preparing to clean up the unit and have it ready to show to prospective tenants.

As far as your hard luck, current tenants, I doubt you'll ever see another dime from that tribe.

We would not feel so insecure if it weren't for the past lies and the strange unresponsiveness.

If you feel "insecure" at any time during your tenure as a landlord then you need to sell the property and get out of the landlord business.

There is always a risk that a tenant will damage property and fail to pay rent. This is a risk that all landlords take and have to be prepared for. Granted, it's a lot worse due to the Covid19 moratoria on evictions, and there's nothing you can do about that except wait it out and then file a lawsuit after the tenants are gone.

Back