Tempoary Plates Expired

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmurph345

I recently purchased a 2010 Toyota Corolla from a car dealership in NJ( on 7/16/2013). In my contract I paid them money to register and license the car. They told me that in order to complete the process I would have to send them a copy of my NJ license, because they were charging me the NJ tax rate. I just recently moved to NJ from NY, so I went to the NJ DMV and obtained a NJ license about 3 days after I bought the car. I immediately emailed the dealership a copy of my NJ license to the email addressed they gave me. I let it go for a few days; after several additional emails and 10 phone calls I finally got them to check to make sure they had received my copy of the NJ license( this was now about Aug 1st). My temporary registration and plates were set to expire on Aug 14th. I waited until Aug 10th then called the dealership asking when I could come and pick up my permanent registration and license plates. I called each day for the past week, and each time they always said " oh by tomorrow, or the end of the week for sure, we will call you when it's ready, no problem". Well now it's Aug 17th and I cannot legally drive the car anymore! I spoke with the dealership yesterday and they said that there was some "special" issue with the title and they had to send it to the Trenton DMV office and are waiting for that to return. The dealership represent ice assured me that there were no problems with the car, and that as soon as she received the title back, she would go to the local DMV office to get my plates that day. I also got them to email me saying that the dealership would cover any tickets I get for an expired temp tags. Does anybody know what's going on here? Should I be worried, or do you think they really will be ready in a few days tops?

Disagreeable: thanks for the fast reply and info. I remember the dealer representative telling me on the phone " I spoke with my manager and he said that he doesn't want to issue a 2nd temp because we have already sent the paper work to the Trenton DMV, and by issuing a 2nd temp it may complicate things"...instead they opted to send me an email at my request saying that they would pay for any tickets I get for an expired reg/tag. What does this mean? Do you think this means they are pretty confident they will recieve the title back soon? I am not too familiar with car titles, do you think there could be a problem like a lien on the title that I would be responsible for, or any other major problem like that? They told me last they would have everything by Monday " for sure"...should I give them a few more days?

Disagreeable: thanks for the fast reply and info. On the phone the dealer representative told me " I spoke with my manager and he said he doesn't want to issue you a 2nd temp right now, because we are expecting to get the title/paper work back from the Trenton DMV very soon( this was on thurs the 15th) and we don't want to complicate matters anymore" instead they opted to, at my request email me say that the dealership would be responsible for any tickets I receive due to my expired reg/plates. What do you think this means? Do you think this means they are truly expecting to have my permanent plates and registration by Monday( like they told me this time)? Also, do you think there could be a major problem with the title that I could be responsible for; like an outstanding lien?

The dealer has no control over the speed at which the DMV operates. The holdup its likely on the government end and you just need to wait it out
The dealer promise to pay tickets is not very meaningful. You should continue to pursue requests for another temporary registration since you are now expired.

MightyMoose: Thanks for the advice. I suppose I will give them until Wednesday, then go there( it's an hour drive for me) to request another temporary reg/plate.

Any other suggestions? How can I check to see the status of my title,registration,and plates through the DMV? Should I be worried about a problem with the title or is it the dealerships responsibility to make it correct I.e. no outstanding liens etc?

You can always try stopping at a local registrar, presenting your purchase paperwork and asking them the status on the VIN. NJ does not have the info online like OH does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back