Consumer Fraud Telephone Calls From (866) 667-9281

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
I have been receiving telephone calls from (866) 667-9281, which now hang up the phone instead of leaving a message. Research indicates this is a debt collector trying to collect on an outstanding loan - to someone else - but I can't get rid of them. Some woman used my home fax number as her home phone number and, periodically, different bill collectors will call although the numbers may sometimes be the same (and perhaps "spoofed.")

The latest, which leaves me irritated, was at 8AM on Saturday morning. This is borderline with what our government considers acceptable and surely our men in Washington should know all about going out on a Friday night so as to make Saturday morning more of a "sleep in" that could reasonably last (for me) until 9AM. I shouldn't have to go through this song and dance every other weekend. So if you're reading this fellow lobbyists, please amend this law regarding weekends. :)

THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT
As amended by Pub. L. 109-351, §§ 801-02, 120 Stat. 1966 (2006)

§ 805. Communication in connection with debt collection
(a) COMMUNICATION WITH THE CONSUMER GENERALLY. Without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector or the express permission of
a court of competent jurisdiction, a debt collector may not communicate with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt—
(1) at any unusual time or place or a time or place known or which should be known to be inconvenient to the consumer. In the absence of knowledge of circumstances to the contrary, a debt collector shall assume that the convenient time for communicating with a consumer is after 8 o'clock antimeridian and before 9 o'clock postmeridian, local time at the consumer's location

2011 thread --Well, sadly to say, the law hasn't been changed per my most recent info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back