Teacher threatens my child

Agnus

During P.E. My son was hot and tired after running and was it ting on the bench with his classmates. Exhausted, my son rests his elbows on his thighs and runs his hands through his hair. Apparently the P.E. teacher didn't think my son was paying attention and he says "I know how to throw a bat! (While glaring at my son.)
My son is not the top achiever in his class but he is constantly getting B honor roll, is athletic and liked by everyone. My son is the boy who is gentle with the babies, good with the toddlers, loves animals and surrounds himself with a solid group of good kids.

I texted my friend who is a teacher in the same school. I asked her if the principal was in the office tomorrow and of course being my friend, she asks if everything is okay. I tell her the story and she says he does this stupid kind of thing all the time. This isn't acceptable behavior coming from a teacher who is viewed by every student and should lead by example. My son knows this guy doesn't like him. He never gets chosen to go to the track field day, softball tournament, picked for the basketball team, etc. But when it comes to playing sports outside of this teacher's control, my son excels. He's on the first string for basketball pitches and hits cleanup in baseball.

What is my recourse? I'm meeting with the principal first thing in the morning but I fully expect nothing will be done.

Thank you.

Ask to have your son removed from the teacher's class.

During P.E. My son was hot and tired after running and was it ting on the bench with his classmates. Exhausted, my son rests his elbows on his thighs and runs his hands through his hair. Apparently the P.E. teacher didn't think my son was paying attention and he says "I know how to throw a bat! (While glaring at my son.)
You describe it as if you were there. Keep in mind that you were not there and you are getting info from your son and maybe a buddy or two.

Also, the comment sounds like a flippant remark, not a threat. Unless this child brandished the bat and took a poke at your son or others, I doubt that anyone will seriously consider that the teacher intended it as a threat to do harm at all.

What is my recourse? I'm meeting with the principal first thing in the morning but I fully expect nothing will be done.
About all you might be able to expect is that you can get a sit-down with the teacher and the principal so you can explain things. The Principal might then thank you and agree to have a conversation with the teacher about his conduct, and you might be able to get your son transferred into another PE class if one is available. But, might it not be a better idea to first talk with the teacher and see what HE has to say? Remember, you DO NOT KNOW what happened. Before you rush to judgement, find out what the other side has to say on the matter.

cdwjava makes an excellent point - You should try to think of the right information to obtain and questions to ask for meetings. Does the teacher have a short temper with the students in general? Why might the teacher not like my son? It's possible your son is just an average athlete and, to be honest, some teachers aren't fond of those who just don't possess those skills. I was always fortunate to be one of the better athletes in my school and I remember how one teacher in particular used to admire my capabilities but be indifferent to other students that didn't have them. I'd get to play far more often because I got results, even though play in school between sides really shouldn't matter that much, e.g. there really shouldn't be any significant meaning for the winner of intramural sports. I don't think we're anywhere near a legal question.

Back