Teacher License

M

Mustang

Jurisdiction
Texas
I was a juvenile when I was charged and convicted of assault. I completed court ordered probation and had my records sealed (when I turned 19) under Sec 58.003 . Does Texas Family Code Sec 58.003 (j) apply to all licenses including teaching or a professional engineering (PE). What about education code 22.085 .

Thank you.

What did the state school board/teachers' association say when you called them and asked them your question?

What did the state school board/teachers' association say when you called them and asked them your question?

That's the last thing in the world the OP should be doing.

Section 22.085 says he SHALL (meaning no ifs, ands, or buts) be fired or refused employment IF the employer learns of conviction of any of the qualifying crimes.

Since his juvenile records are sealed he should let sleeping dogs lie and not poke the bear.

Does Texas Family Code Sec 58.003 (j) apply to all licenses including teaching or a professional engineering (PE)

58.003(j) appears to be all inclusive, for ANY license or employment, so you can answer no to any question that pertains to that record and the answer cannot be used against you in any civil or criminal proceeding.

What about education code 22.085 .

However, being fired or denied employment is not a civil or criminal procedure so, under Education Code 22.085, IF the employer happens to somehow learn about the record of a qualifying offense, the employer SHALL fire you or deny you employment (no ifs, ands, or buts.)

He can't make an anonymous call?

I know quite a few that have made a call to seek answers.
None were required to identify themselves.

Back