Tax Fraud and Employment Between States

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefirm

I am not sure where this goes but I am trying here first

I need advice fast.

I am working with a company that has main office in FL. But sales office is NY.

NY state is investigating the company for tax fraud since there is a office in NY State that is not licensed. This has been going on for years.

The have a FL phone number that is forward to NY office.

I have been asked to remove all NY State information from corporate website. Which I did in fear I may loose my job if I refuse.

The CEO has approached me about forging emails letters and documents to tell NY state this was all changed years ago. In this conversation he has mentioned blaming misinformation on ex-employees and past web programmer.

Now he has gone as far as saying that the information on corporate website that has blown their cover was my fault and I have uploaded false and old information.

I feel like a fall guy if it hits the fan. AND IT WILL.

What should I do

I am not sure where this goes but I am trying here first

I need advice fast.

I am working with a company that has main office in FL. But sales office is NY.

NY state is investigating the company for tax fraud since there is a office in NY State that is not licensed. This has been going on for years.

The have a FL phone number that is forward to NY office.

I have been asked to remove all NY State information from corporate website. Which I did in fear I may loose my job if I refuse.

The CEO has approached me about forging emails letters and documents to tell NY state this was all changed years ago. In this conversation he has mentioned blaming misinformation on ex-employees and past web programmer.

Now he has gone as far as saying that the information on corporate website that has blown their cover was my fault and I have uploaded false and old information.

I feel like a fall guy if it hits the fan. AND IT WILL.

What should I do

Tell the truth, especially to government officials.

For your protection, save every communication where someone tries to get you to lie.

I'm sure that NY officials would love to have proof that this bully is threatening you and demanding you lie to save his cheating "donkey".

You may be terminated by your scuzzbag of an employer, however, unlike these liars and cheats; you'll be free to pursue your life.

No job is worth going to prison to keep.

No one is worth getting a felony conviction on YOUR record for their evil.

Finally, if I were you, I';d start seeking another position ASAP.

These cheats may be bankrupt or forced to lay employees off anyway.

I finally left this company and went back to work for former friend/boss.

Similar industry.

As it turns out the company I am with now is dealing with similar customers/ vendors.

What I am concerned about is a non compete agreement that was signed 5yrs ago with the other company.

Since we are going to cross paths I want to make sure I will be ok.

The other comapny still owes me $15,000+ in back overtime wages and not to mention was trying to get me to forged documents.

I was under the impression that since they refuse to pay back wages and threated to take my job if I went to labor board, THe non compete would be thrown out the window by any court.

This clown has done this to several employees. HELP

It is unlikely that the noncompete will be voided because of nonpayment of wages legally due as those are two separate issues; noncompetes are contractual; wages due are (generally) governed by wage and hour laws. I cannot address the noncompete issue any more than that, but I can the wage issue.

First question; what type of IT work were you doing? Are you comfortable that you did not meet the criteria for exempt status?

So What I cant understand is you agree to work for an employer under certain terms for example pay. If your employer breaks laws (labor) and does not pay you. You are still held by that contract.

If an employer does not pay an employee for hours worked then they own you money. But if they tell you they are not paying and If I see a lawyer and try to take to court you will loose your job.

I was doing assembly for high end components for a number of years. And have been in this industry for years (20) prior to my employment.

I was classified as an employee whos did manual labor. The 6months in I was told to hire another. Which I did. He also did assembly but 6 month in He lost his full time status and was classified as part time.

Once they found out I can program They had me doing that at nights and weekends. No extra pay for extra efforts. Until I started asking for overtime.

I was told I was a supervisor???? No Title ever given.

I know In order to classified as supervisor you need to be incharge of 2fulltime employees.

I brought up the Last 5years to him and he laughed. So I refused to work anymore over time.

Instead of "refusing the work any more overtime", which could have gotten you legally fired, why didn't you just file the wage claim with the state DOL at that time?

You are correct that in order to qualify for the Executive exemption, you must supervise at least 2 FTE employees. However, there are also other exempt classifications that you need to consider, namely, in your case, the Administrative and Computer Professional classifications.
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17c_administrative.pdf
http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17e_computer.pdf

Last edited:
simple...He said he would take my job. Make something up like fraud.

Until i could find something else.

Since 90% of my primary job was assembly (manual labor) then I can not be classified as Administrative, management, or computer tech.

Since I can not be without pay and the lawyers want 1/3 of your settlement I have to out-way lawsuit or homeless.

If an employer threatens, bullies, or retaliates against you for filing a wage claim or dispute with a state wage and labor board or agency; that should be reported to the agency or board. The agency or board will investigate your allegation. There are severe penalties for employers that are found guilty of such retaliatory conduct.

If I were in your postion, I'd report this thug. Then sit back and watch the agency or board thugs box that creep about his empty skull. If your accusations are sustained, you'll be rewarded mightily!!!!

Actually, there is no state labor board/agency with which an employee can file a wage claim, assuming the OP actually worked in Florida (I'm not clear from his post). In Florida, it's either the federal DOL or a civil suit.

Right in Florida it is a civil suit. The problem is limitations before filing a claim.

I just want to move on. I have new job. Just want nothing to do with this guy any longer.

Right in Florida it is a civil suit. The problem is limitations before filing a claim.

I just want to move on. I have new job. Just want nothing to do with this guy any longer.

I strongly urge you to take the situation under reconsideration. This employer is very likely doing this type of thing to other people and it wouldn't be right to let him get away with this sort of thing. I understand that you want to move on with your life but I feel that so many people take this stance when it is more than just yourself you may consider.

Actually, there is no state labor board/agency with which an employee can file a wage claim, assuming the OP actually worked in Florida (I'm not clear from his post). In Florida, it's either the federal DOL or a civil suit.

Report it to an Agency or board.

Or, forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back