Targeted

O

Out of options

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I have worked for the same retail giant company for 38.5 years....within the last 2 years due to management changes I feel that I have been targeted. A situation was dealt with by my being transfered.....but it seems the individual with whom I was trying to disconnect from ....is the mentor to this new manager and it has just come to my attention how connected and negative they both are I am only a couple of year away from retirement....I cannot find an eap department to contact and hr is of course connected to the company....but my last encounter using the local hr was somewhat successful.....there is also a question of a privacy violation concerning my last encounter with a superior....is it legal for one supervisor to contact another about you taking a 'lesser position ' when during the conversation of a possible demotion or my choice to leave the company I stated to said superior I would need time to consider my options. He then took it upon himself to contact another manager in the area about a lesser position .... I was very embarrassed that my private work situation was being talked about throughout the district. I have several other instances and situational concerns that I will not bring up at this time ....but yes there is more

Let's put it this way.

Nothing in your post suggests that you have any legal recourse. It is possible - not definite, but possible - that additional detail might change the answer.

Agree that based on what you posted there doesn't seem to be anything illegal done.

I have a generalized question and have been all over the internet to find an answer... are performance reviews protected by privacy laws ...and if this is so and one had been done in an office that was being taped 24 hrs a day ....and that taping was open to being viewed by colleges because it is not protected is that a valid complaint

So companies are allowed to video tape reviews that are open to being viewed by other colleges

The law is silent, meaning its neither condoned or banned. The law has no remedy for every grievance one might suffer.

Yes. Companies are allowed to video tape reviews that are open to being viewed by other colleges. There are no privacy laws in play and performance reviews are NOT considered confidential.

Depending on the exact circumstances it may or may not be a good idea; it may or may not be good management. It is not illegal and does not provide you with any form of legal recourse.

I hope that this is now clear.

There is no general privacy law that covers employment. Absolutely supervisors may discuss an employee's performance and demotions with one another. Performance reviews are also only private to the extent the company wishes for them to be. It is not even a little bit uncommon for an employee who may transfer or be demoted to have their performance review shared internally.

Back