Take over payments

Vimce

Jurisdiction
Texas
You
I went to a car dealership and the salesman offered me to take over payments on a jeep which I agreed to. I basically took over someone else's loan payments..so I thought. We then went to a notary and got all of this finalized. I paid $1500 to the dealership as a down payment for which I have money order receipts for. Last week when I went to the other party's bank to make my first payment, the bank told me that the notarized paper is worthless and ithat it's not possible for me to take over payments and that I will never own the car because its the banks car. So basically the dealership deceptively stole $1500 from me and told me that the other party (or the bank) can take back the car whenever they feel like it and that I will never own the car. I still have the car in my posession.. what am I supposed to do? I obviously don't want to make payments on the principal if it's not my car, and the payment is due on the 1st. ...I'm so mad.

Sounds like a scam to me. Do you have a copy of any contract?
Are you certain you were even dealing with an employee of the dealership?

what am I supposed to do?

You start by contacting the DMV:

We investigate complaints against vehicle dealers licensed to sell vehicles in Texas.

You can file a complaint whether you are a consumer or a vehicle dealer.

For additional information or assistance with enforcement actions, call us at (888) 368-4689 or (512) 465-4204.

Complaints Against Vehicle Dealers

If you have a complaint about a motor vehicle dealer transaction or advertisement, please follow the steps below:

To go to the Motor Vehicle Dealer Online Complaint System, click on the LINK below:

Texas Department of Motor Vehicles - Submit a Complaint

Attach a copy of the sales contract and other documents you may have received from the dealer.

For advertising complaints, please attach a copy of the advertisement.

Should you have trouble filing, please contact us at (888) 368-4689.

TXDMV.GOV - Contact

Toll-Free Phone Number
1 (888) DMV-GOTX or
1 (888) 368-4689

Local Phone Number
(512) 465-3000
Fax: (512) 465-4129

Business Hours
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm
(Central Time)

Our TX AG will also accept complaints:

File a Consumer Complaint | Office of the Attorney General

Preparing Your Complaint
Before you file your complaint with us, take a moment to make sure you have all of your important information. Please note: The system cannot save your complaint in progress, so you will need to complete the form in one sitting.

The more details you can provide, the more effectively we can review your complaint. Important information includes:

The name of the business or individual you're filing a complaint against
The business/individual's full address, including zip code
A detailed description of your complaint
Explanation of how you came into contact with the business/individual
Transaction dates and amounts
Contract information (when appropriate) with payment details
How you may have attempted to resolve the dispute, including the names of people you spoke with

Note: You can also attach supporting documents when filling out the online complaint form.

What We Can Do
Receive consumer complaints and review them to identify illegal activity
File civil lawsuits acting in the public interest

Educate Texans on the latest scams— Common Scams | Office of the Attorney General —and how to avoid them

And yes he is an employee.

Suggestions:

WRITTEN complaint to whatever agency licenses dealers.

Find out who OWNS the dealership from the state's corporation records and write to him, too.

Get your own financing for the loan balance and pay it off.

Or, take the car back and demand your money. If you don't get it, leave the car and the keys and sue the dealer.

Suggestions:

WRITTEN complaint to whatever agency licenses dealers.

Find out who OWNS the dealership from the state's corporation records and write to him, too.

Get your own financing for the loan balance and pay it off.

Or, take the car back and demand your money. If you don't get it, leave the car and the keys and sue the dealer.
How much would I get when I sue?

You said you haven't made any payments yet so all you can sue for is $1500. If you win that's not the end of it. You still have to collect which could be problematic if they are crooks.

You said you haven't made any payments yet so all you can sue for is $1500. If you win that's not the end of it. You still have to collect which could be problematic if they are crooks.
So I'm going to go through all this trouble of getting my money back and I'll be lucky to just get the 1500? Wtf? I already contacted the dealer and they're now ghosting me.. they knew I was a retired disabled veteran and they still took advantage of me. What a shame. I hate people.

What does being a retired disabled veteran have to do with it? NOTHING... Well maybe it does. Means you have the time to really look into something so you don't get taken advantage of. Take the great advice above and seek the return of your money.

How old are you? If you really did get scammed you might be able to get law enforcement help through elder abuse laws.
Have you actually returned to the dealership to speak with someone or are you just calling? You needed to physically go there.
What type of dealership is it?

Back