Suspended due to facebook posting

carolsmith

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
I was suspended due to a facebook post regarding a personal relationship. I was told I may be fired or demoted. Can my employer do this?

Yes.

You can be fired or demoted for any reason at any time as long as it doesn't violate anti-discrimination laws. Might be different if you work in civil service or are a member of a union.

A lot of people around the country have been fired in the last decade or more for what they've put on the internet. All it takes is that whatever you posted annoyed your employer.

You would likely still be eligible for unemployment compensation if you get fired.

There is no law that governs what you post on social media. Had you been discussing working conditions with a coworker over FB, you might have had some protection. Posts about personal relationships are not protected.

I was suspended due to a facebook post regarding a personal relationship. I was told I may be fired or demoted. Can my employer do this?

Yes, you can be suspended, fired or demoted as long as it isn't due to a reason prohibited by law (ie religion, race, gender...) or unless you have a binding employment contract to the contrary.

If you are terminated, look for other employment & file for unemployment ins. The state will decide if you qualify for UI.

Back