Suspect pursued by Texas Rangers commits suicide by cop

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Texas
This one has tongues wagging and heads shaking all over the Hill Country.

I met the Chief several times.

My spidy senses tingled, now I know why.

mpdsuicided.jpg
Photo by: Marlin Police Department Facebook

=================================

MARLIN, TX — According to the McLennan County Sheriff's Office, the Marlin Police Department Police Chief died by suicide on Friday.

According to Sgt. Ryan Howard of the Texas Department of Public Safety, around 12 p.m., the Texas Rangers were conducting an investigation when Chief Nathan Sodek ran inside the house and died by suicide. Sgt. Howard said Chief Sodek died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Sgt. Howard could not confirm the reason for the Ranger's investigation. He also would not name identify Chief Sodek as the person involved.

Officials said Texas Rangers were investigating Chief Nathan Sodek for quite some time. The Rangers were executing an arrest warrant for sexual assault when the incident occurred.

This is a developing story.

=================================

Marlin police chief dies by suicide during warrant execution

Hmm... I'm not sure that counts as suicide by cop.... That one gets an asterisk.

I pondered the expression, too, my friend.

In the end, I had to consider that the chief was a cop.
The chief committed suicide.
His death was indeed "suicide by cop".

This is a classic tautology.

That has to be the youngest chief I've ever seen.

Marlin, TX is one special place.

The village has been in the news for scandals, thefts by city officials, poor schools, and lots of fraud and waste.

The PD has received lots of negative attention from the death of a former chief (who was working security at known strip club where drugs were being sold).

I guess the chief of Marlin would be unlike any chief you might know in the Metro NYC area.

I bet you have some upstate similar to him, and I knew of one way out on Long island near Southampton (not Southampton) but one of the lil burgs near there.

I bet the chief in Marlin might be earning $50K and a few perks.

I'm curious. If Joe Citizen assaults/murders a police officer there is an enhancement for sentencing. If a police officer commits a crime does his sentence get enhanced?

yeah yeah...probably a stupid question... ;)

Wasn't there some dust-up with a couple of Marlin cops and a black guy on his own property a few months ago?

Marlin is in the news for many bizarre reasons.
Yes, there are many such sad occurrences in Marlin.
Marlin could be a visited place, if they ever get jobs, again.

A hot artesian spring was struck by accident in 1893 and the town became known for its curative waters effect.

Today you can drink from a fountain from that era, right next to the Chamber of Commerce Office.

You can soak your feet too, and they've thoughtfully provided a separate facility for that purpose.

The water has a tendency to purge and locals have timed it's effects at 43 minutes.

Marlin is the county seat of Falls County, and home to the 8th hotel opened by hotel entrepreneur, Conrad Hilton.

The Palace Cafe is famous for great hamburgers.

Back during the town's heydays, you'd pay a dime or nickel for a burger, depending on WHO you were.

Damn, my Texas and her Texans do keep it real!

The modern day downfall of Marlin came about when a big aluminum plant shuttered. followed by some grain elevators, and a local mine.

MarlinTXPalaceTheaterNCafeOnRRTracks403TE.jpg

Marlin_mineral_water.jpg

Updates, deceased chief alleged to have been a "dirty cop", also forcing female suspect to make three drug buys and do the naughty, nasty, deed in police car!!!
---------------------------

MARLIN, Texas (KWTX) Marlin police Chief Nathan Sodek, who shot himself to death Friday as Texas Rangers arrived at his home in Bruceville-Eddy to serve warrants, confessed to having sex with a 35-year-old check forgery suspect who told investigators in a sworn statement she felt like she "had no other option but to have sex with him if I didn't want to go to jail."

Marlin police Chief Nathan Sodek (inset) shot himself as Texas Rangers served warrants Friday at a home in Bruceville-Eddy. (Photo by Drake Lawson)

KWTX has obtained a copy of the woman's sworn statement in which she said she felt "powerless and helpless to the entire situation."

The woman signed the statement late last Thursday afternoon.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit KWTX obtained Monday that was submitted last Friday, Sodek, during an interview with a Texas Ranger, "confessed to engaging in sexual intercourse (with the woman) while on duty in his city issued police vehicle in late April or early May.

Sodek was named in warrants charging sexual assault and official oppression.

The woman, in her statement, said she was arrested earlier this year after trying to cash a check "from a deceased person's account," but was released and told to return to the Marlin Police Department the next day.

When she did, according to the statement, she was told that if she "went and made a buy from three dealers that I wouldn't have to worry about the warrant."

"During the entire time of the buys, the chief was messaging me telling me how beautiful I was and how he wanted to go out with me on St. Patrick's Day to have drinks on 6th Street in Austin," the woman said in the statement.

Sodek gave the woman his personal phone number and told her "to text him on that number if it wasn't pertaining to police work," according to the statement.

Sodek, the woman says in the statement, held her ID for almost two weeks after retrieving it from the library where she left it and then told her to meet him in Falcon (Falconer) Park in the 600 block of Perry Street, asking her if she liked chocolate.

"He showed up at (Falconer) Park with chocolate and told me he needed to talk to me about another buy, but we needed to go to the Marlin City Park."

When the two got to the park, the woman said in the statement, Sodek got out of his patrol unit to smoke a cigarette, and then, when he got back in, exposed himself to her.

"I was disgusted and shocked but knew where this situation was headed," she said.

Sodek got out of the car, came around the passenger side and asked the woman if she had a condom, in response to which she said she did not, the statement says.

He then began "to pull my short and underwear down," she said, and then the two "had intercourse for about five minutes," according to the statement.

Afterward, the woman said, Sodek told her "nobody needs to find out about this," and then dropped her off at a gas station and left.

Sodek was appointed chief in December after serving as Marlin's interim chief following the resignation of former Chief Mike Pesses.

Falls County deputies stepped in to handle police operations over the weekend, but on Monday Marlin City Manager Cedric Davis, Sr., who said he has current law enforcement certifications, was named to serve as interim chief for no more than 90 days, during which time the city will seek a replacement for Sodek.

The opening will be posted on Friday, city officials said.

Davis, 52, the former mayor Balch Springs, was named city manager in May.

His contract includes a provision that allows him to step in as police chief in an emergency situation, he said.

The Falls County Sheriff's Office will continue to provide assistance to the department, all of whose officers reported for work Monday, officials said.

Sodek is the second chief of the Marlin department to die of a gunshot wound in less than four years.

On Nov. 10, 2015, Marlin police Chief Darrell Allen, who was shot and critically wounded during a struggle with a man on Nov. 1, 2015, while working security at a bar in Temple died at Scott & White Medical Center in Temple where he'd been in critical condition since the shooting.

Derrick Wayne Gamble, 24, was arrested after the shooting at the Laid Back Lounge and was initially charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Derrick Wayne Gamble was arrested immediately after the shooting and was initially charged with capital murder.

On Aug. 23, 2017, he was convicted of murder and two days later jurors agreed on a 95-year sentence.

---------------------------
Local police chief who took own life confessed he had sex with suspect

Back