1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

surveillance

Discussion in 'Criminal Procedure, Criminal Court' started by nmaher1211, Nov 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmaher1211

nmaher1211 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Minnesota
    Can a civilian use listening surveillance on another person and hand it over to the cops, can the cops use that in court?

2. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

Were they a party to the conversation? What is on the tape that would interest the police?

3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Minnesota allows you to secretly record a conversation ONLY if you are a party to that conversation. Otherwise, no.

https://www.rcfp.org/wp-content/uploads/imported/CANWETAPE.pdf

4. justblue

justblue Well-Known Member

Please stop posting to dead threads.

5. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

This is an old one and I was surprised too. Although I'm not sure of the answers based on the limited amount of information. I think it would depend upon the type of communication. For example, if it's wireless communication - the easiest example being unencrypted - then there would not be the same issue present as a private wire communication, etc.

But a good point that we need to lock down the old posts again. Thanks to both of you for your input.

justblue likes this.