Sure Deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixlucky48

I vacated a short term apartment rental and believed I had vacated in good standing without any damages. The management company had required two non refundable deposits for a total of $325.00. I was told these deposits where to cover any expenses the company incurrred after my move out. The management company is now requesting $95 for reimbursement to clean for pet odor. They forwarded an undated move out inspection report. They claim they can't provide any additional information because the unit only smelled bad and there were not any stains on the carpet. I have also learned that $175 of the deposit was applied to a bond with Sure Deposit to cover any damages for the landlord but that this did not give me any coverage for my rental period. Is this an acceptable practice and did the landlord have any responsibility to explain the bond coverage? Am I liable for the charges at this point in time?

Did you sign anything?

Have you thoroughly read everything you signed or were given?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read everything over and the paperwork does not mention anything about a surety bond purchased from Sure Deposit. The management company required a cashier's check made out to Sure Deposit for part of the prepayment monies. I did not sign anything agreeing to the surety bond. There is not anything mentioned for the pet fee as to what this money is specifically for. The sales agent made it sound like these were all security deposits and this was all verbal.

I read everything over and the paperwork does not mention anything about a surety bond purchased from Sure Deposit. The management company required a cashier's check made out to Sure Deposit for part of the prepayment monies. I did not sign anything agreeing to the surety bond. There is not anything mentioned for the pet fee as to what this money is specifically for. The sales agent made it sound like these were all security deposits and this was all verbal.

You might have a case in small claims.
But, for these small amounts, is it worth the trouble?
Only you know the answer to that.
If you believe the money is owed to you, sue them in small claims court.
Otherwise, walk away.
Maybe a telephone call might help clear things up for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back