Support issues and grandparents' rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLNana

My son has been sentenced to 30 months incarceration for habitual DUI in NC. He and his girlfriend have a son, who was born shortly after he was incarcerated. She speaks to me, but is very angry with my son. She will no longer accept phone calls from my son to inquire about the child. She still speaks to me, and I want to continue a relationship with her.

What can I do and what should I do to preserve my son's parental rights? She has said nothing about support, but I would like to make sure all requirements are met so that when my son is released, he has a better chance to be involved in his son's upbringing.

What the parents work out in the course of two years is their business, but I believe that two parents are necessary. I do not want to interfere or bring legal action, just ensure that my grandson is provided for, and at least pay support while my son cannot so that money will not be an issue.

Please advise. Many thanks.

There's absolutely nothing from stopping you from paying your son's child support - just make sure that you get receipts if he's not paying through CSE.

Other than that, there isn't anything you can do, really. Mom doesn't have to answer his phone calls, and because the child is so young he won't be able to convince a court to order telephone visitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back